• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thurust bearing taken out on new build. Help

No need to file slots on the Clevite MS2233HG . They are notched already.
Doug

View attachment 1652604

Looking at that picture are you talking about the grooves at the top Center of the cap half bearings? What about the thrust bearing? The relief grooves on the sides? Just making sure…
I always used Clevite 77. Would you know if these bearings would be an upgrade or are they specific for high power situations?

Clevite was considered an upgrade cause their a tri metal bearing which is harder/tougher than a run of the mill stock soft bearing. Kim

Last edited:
Looking at that picture are you talking about the grooves at the top Center of the cap half bearings? What about the thrust bearing? The relief grooves on the sides? Just making sure…
I always used Clevite 77. Would you know if these bearings would be an upgrade or are they specific for high power situationsI
In this instance the thrust was the concern. As you can see the trust surfaces are heavily relieved. Personally I like the 3/4 groove as well. Cleite has done testing for those style grooves. According to Clevite they performed better than other styles. I'm sure Clevite/Mahle knows more about bearings than all of us.
Doug

In this instance the thrust was the concern. As you can see the trust surfaces are heavily relieved. Personally I like the 3/4 groove as well. Cleite has done testing for those style grooves. According to Clevite they performed better than other styles. I'm sure Clevite/Mahle knows more about bearings than all of us.
Doug

Do you think this bearing would suggest using a high volume pump? Do you think this affects oil pressure? Viscosity choice?

Do you think this bearing would suggest using a high volume pump? Do you think this affects oil pressure? Viscosity choice?
Run a HV pump w 5w/25 0il. To be honest the groove won't affect pressure. The grooves are larger than the bearing clearance itself. That's what controls the leak.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back