• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tilt Steering Column to fit a 1964 Plymouth Savoy

jobenz

Local time
8:04 AM
Reaction score
Would anyone know who may manufacture a tilt steering column to fit the 1964 Plymouth Savoy, Belvedere or Fury??? Already called Flaming River and Ididit. They do not.
Joe

You may want to check with the "C" Bodies guys. It is possible that a early "C" tilt up to 69 may work.
The C Bodies web.When it comes to "C" cars they know a heck of allot more than me. I work mostly A & B cars for the last 50 years.Early B cars are my favorites.

I thought about putting a tilt/telescopic column in my 1964 Polara. I found that anything Ididit or Flaming River had was too short. I had also installed an early '70's cruise control on my '64 column, and figured I would lose that, going to an aftermarket tilt column. I also thought about C-body columns. To get one without a column shifter on it, the donor car would have to be a console car; kinda rare. Then, the telescope feature uses a unique steering wheel, with a lever on it to engage the telescope feature. I ended up just using my stock column.
My biggest concern was getting a comfortable distance between me and the steering wheel, since I am a bigger guy. I bought a set of seat extenders from Jeg's and a smaller 14" wheel from Classic Industries.

I have a Flaming River tilt column with a Grant steering wheel in my 64'
cell phone 051.jpg
cell phone 060.jpg
cell phone 170.jpg
since 2008. My set up does not use any of the factory components except the power steering box.

Flaming river told me they do not sell one to fit the 64 Plymouth.
I hate when companies have people that have no idea what they have to sell. If it don't show on their computer, we ain't got it. Maybe not exact but that's what Hot Rodding is all about.
I have seen Flaming River at SEMA and had Mopar columns . I guess things may have changed.
Sorry for the rant..

Maybe consider modifying a factory column to fit. The 70a era Cordoba models are GM based but I have plans to modify one for my ‘70 Charger.
All of the 1970 and later Mopar columns will have the ignition key in the column though.

Perhaps the tech assumed you wanted an column that was listed for your Savoy. The part # is FR20006CP. I looked up the part number on their website and they now list FR20006. A 32" floor shift, paintable, tilt column with GM wiring. When I got around to the wiring I had to cut the factory connector and a Flaming River tech sent me a wiring diagram for the different wire colors to splice using a copy of a Plymouth factory wiring diagram. My steering shaft is the double "D" style. I had to cut-to-fit the shaft. The column floor mount part number is FR20114. They were very helpful at the time of my purchase and install. On a previous build, I used an ididit column in my 49 Dodge B1B panel truck with Fatman's Fabrication Mustang II rack and pinion set up. Both companies provided quality products and customer service.

Auto Transport Service
Back