• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tilt Steering Wheel Lock Up

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:26 PM
Reaction score
Ok lets say my '05 Dakota qualifies as a Mopar so I'm tossing my dilemma out on our forum for possible advice. My better half perhaps got impatient trying to raise the tilt wheel when she was getting into my truck. It ended up with the wheel locked in the highest position and the lever separated or broken as when moving the lever all I got is free action with the adjuster lever and no results. I've started my search for advice on the net; but thought I'd toss this out to fellow Mopar members in case you have encountered this and have some tips on a fix. Thanks...

I ended up finding out the culprit taking apart the shrouding in case anyone is curious on this problem. There are two mating nylon gears that are slotted together one operated by a wire cable, they were separated looking like not too difficult of job to remedy; but then we know how simple remedies are about as common as getting triple 7's on a slot machine. One of the mating gears needs replacement and this is going to involve some heady disassembly to remove and replace. Anyway I was able to hold the parts together to move the damn steering wheel from its highest setting it was locked on so it's decent to drive. Since I have multiple thousands spent and endless hours restoing my '63 Plymouth last several months hoping to get it on the road in a few weeks, this job will be on hold for some time.

Auto Transport Service
Back