• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time for my very own Mig Welder!

Thanks for the suggestion. I just decided it was time to buy one today, so I've only just started cruising CL, but I will be doing so until I find something I am happy with.

Thank you everyone for the recommendations/opinions/options!

Does anyone have any experience with the Eastwood MIG 135?

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-110vac-135a-output.html

Just curious as a friend suggested it to me and said he has heard good things.
Its also very affordable, which is always a plus...

I have the Eastwood MIG 140 (I think, its the 220V) but its fantastic. Very good quality and an excellent price. I love the thing, would expect the same results with the 135

I understood that the Eastwood welder was made by Miller. The Hobart 140 is the same as my Miller 145.

BTW I believe this is true. My welder looks and behaves just like more expensive welders I have used. I have welded with industrial miller mig units and this one easily stands up.

I was incorrect before I have the Eastwood 175.

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welders-175-amp-mig-welder-w-spool-gun.html

I haven't yet tried the spool gun but it appears to be a quality piece.

well I never researched it but welding with it I don't see a difference between mine and the name brands. Given a choice I'd buy another Eastwood. Though had I found a good used Miller or Lincoln I'd have jumped on that bandwagon as well.

Just used the Eastwood mig 135 120v welder.. works flawless... the person doing the welding sucked but the welder works great for what it was intended for. How much welding are you actually going to do? Ar yo going into business as a welder? Are you a certified welder? The argument about it being made in China and breaking and finding parts is bunk.. Its a popular item produced but an American company and you don't thin parts are available for it? They are as common as a cat or a dog and cheap.

I looked at Miller welders... probably the best on the market but how much welding am I going to do and what caliber of metal? There was no way to justify the cost for welding sheet metal on a car that once its done the welder isn't needed.

pro welders who use their equipment all the time need the best. Someone restoring a car for a hobby in their garage does no need the same .. simple as that.

Don't waste your money on a tool your going to use for a couple times and then let sit for ever. Buy what it takes to do the job and don't go for overkill or your just wasting money. If I was going to weld for a living I would but a 220v Miller.. but thats not the case and so the Eastwood mig 135 is plenty enough welder for me and 90% of the hobbyists .... people with more work load need more welder
Don't think anyone said the Eastwood machine was made in China but as far as a machine that's made in China is junk isn't bunk. Product quality has gone down world wide and China is one of the worse ones to do that in the last 10+ years. I have a large vise that I bought 30 years ago and I have tried to break and so far, it's still doing very well. You can't find that kind of quality anymore from them. China used to make some pretty good tools at one point and the welding machines are no exception. And how do you know if the machine isn't the problem when someone that doesn't know how to weld is using it? When I got my new 250, I noticed an immediate difference with the way I could lay down a better bead and easier. A high quality machine makes a difference plain and simple. And the big question that no one seems to care about is why do we keep supporting a forking commie country? Also, if a person doesn't plan on doing anymore welding when the project is done, why not just buy a used high quality machine and when the project is done, sell it. The possibility is high that you could get a 100% return....or rent the equipment. I got my first machine because I wanted to be able to weld something when I needed to and ended up welding all kinds of stuff.

I agree Cranky, I deal with Chinese junk all the time... Go to Walmart and buy a bike for your kid and its last 6 weeks if they ride it everyday. I'm just saying as far as the eastwood goes its seems to be decent enough. They are made overseas I found that out but they are using supposed top of the line electronics in them.... I dont know for sure one way or the other.... I just cant see a whole lot of good in dropping top dollar for something that will get used a few times and then collect dust.

I sell performance parts for late model gm. I've watched my sales go from decent to none existent with the advent of cheap chinese knock off headers.. I refuse to sell them, but I also dont make any money selling headers anymore. Then when someone dpoes want a decent set of USA made..... the competition sells them for 50 over cost which the mfg says they dont allow but they keep supplying the whores to enable them to do it.

I did look for used Millers, people wanted top dollar for them and buying used is a risk for someone with no experience. I figured with the 3 yr warranty on the eastwood it would be good enough for now. If I want more welder later I can sell it and step up.. but I paid like $539 total for all I got.... Same from Miller with the same accessories was $1150.. The big thing was the 3 yr warranty.

I have a similar question so I just figured it would be easier to revive this thread. I have limited experience, so I wouldn't even begin to know what to look for in a used unit. I am looking for an entry level mig welder, budget is around 400. Do I need the gas right away or can I wait on that?

I have a similar question so I just figured it would be easier to revive this thread. I have limited experience, so I wouldn't even begin to know what to look for in a used unit. I am looking for an entry level mig welder, budget is around 400. Do I need the gas right away or can I wait on that?

I started with a flux core cheap welder from harbor freight for $100. and after some time and frustration I went to the Eastwood 175 and spent around $600 total.

My advice is go for the MIG. The flux cored welders are usually too hot, they lack the adjustment the better welders have and you will constantly be burning through. Also chipping out the slag between spot welds when working on sheet metal gets old in a hurry.

For a used welder look for an older lincoln electric or Miller with knobs to adjust heat range and wire feed rate. Preferably what they call infinitely adjustable (where the knob doent have set notches but can be set anywhere).

Good luck and Craigslist usually has a couple here and there.

IMO.....Never...Ever....Ever......go cheapo with a welder. It's one of those things that you truely get what you pay for. Like mentioned, Miller, Hobart, Lincoln or even a Esab would be the way to go. I have yet to see a northern tool, harbor freight, Eastwood or other off brand/chinese welder in any welding/fab shop, body shop, mill, plant, shipyard, pipeline, windtowers or out in the field and for very good reason. Do yourself a favor and stick with what these guys are saying, spend a few extra bucks and stick with a name brand.

Likr Prop says,
IMO: Lincoln OR Miller
And, if you can, get it used. (pennies on the dollar)
Just my opinion.
Remember:
Lincoln and Miller make "sub" units for "other companies"
Eastwood and Northern do not make welders.

I'm not trying to bust anyone's bubble here, so please don't take it that way, but that is not true.

http://forum.eastwood.com/showthread.php?6070-Mig-Welders

OOPS!
Thanks for that correction Propwash...
"I did not know that about eastwoods welder...bvery interesting"
BUT: along with that my point is: Eastwood and Northern do not make them.
BTW: It is probably made by EASB?
Same company on Orange County Choppers.

Likr Prop says,
IMO: Lincoln OR Miller
And, if you can, get it used. (pennies on the dollar)
Just my opinion.
Remember:
Lincoln and Miller make "sub" units for "other companies"
Eastwood and Northern do not make welders.

Unfortunately I have no idea what to look for in a used one. Do I ask the guy to show me it working? What else do I look for besides that?

Whtrnr,

Best advice I can give you my friend is stick with the welders that folks are already using here and have used in the past. Lot of seasoned folks around. Like mentioned Miller, Lincoln, hobart seem to take the cake. Couple guys brought up Eastwood and are happy with them. I've seen ESAB's out in the field, guys like them but they are few and far between mainly because of support/parts and are a bit pricey, good units never the less. Myself I use miller and have never had any issues. Lincoln worked well for me in the past. Remember, with tools...you typically get what you pay for.

Good luck!

The most important thing to consider is the duty cycle. Here is an explanation.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/helpmechoose/basics6.html

The better the duty cycle, the better the welder's transformer, regardless of brand. Usually, the better brands have better transformers. I have a small Craftsman that surprised the hell out of me with a 40% duty cycle. That's in light industrial territory and it's a small 110V machine, although I have welded 1/4" with it. Oh and for what it's worth, the little Craftsman I have is made by Clarke.

Oh and look here.

http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/tools.html#WeldingTools

Notice Lincoln did not make the list. Know why? Because they now are being made in China. All you have to do is look on the tool isle at Wal Mart. Lincoln products. All made in China. In order to make that list up there^^^ products must still be made 100% in the U.S. Lincoln, like Poulan, Mcculloch, Briggs and Stratton and so many others are outsourcing. Again, that doesn't necessarily mean no one else makes good products. The Clarke welders rank high and are a British product. Same Clarke company that makes forklifts and all kinda heavy industrial equipment. I would recommend again to simply look at the duty cycle. Regardless of brand, a crappy transformer will not have a good rating.

Good advice!

You're a pretty smart guy Rusty...and I appreciate the fact that everyday I come here I have the opportunity to stare at Sarah Palins knockers..lol

You're a pretty smart guy Rusty...

Thanks! Although debatable. lol

and I appreciate the fact that everyday I come here I have the opportunity to stare at Sarah Palins knockers..lol

Yeah buddy! Me too! NOT debatable. lol

Oh and your avatar is my all time favorite of his characters. Ethan Edwards was da man. lol

I LOVE Sarah Palin!
God, and all I have to stare at is Joe Biden?
Come on...will somebody please use their BRAIN when they vote the next time?
PS: Did you hear about the Hurricane Issac bearing down in New Orleans exactly 7 years after Katrina?
"That Damn George Bush"
LMAO !

Sneke eyze:
Here you go:
Boston Craigslist add.
I'ts a Lincoln, used but I bet it works!
Just check adds etc...

Like new 85 amp Lincoln MIG pak. Learn to weld! Like new condition with everything included except gas bottle (regulator, instructions, torch with fittings, gas regulator, gas hose, etc). Can do flux core or mig welding with this unit. Even a copy of "How to Weld" book.

Auto Transport Service
Back