• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time for my very own Mig Welder!

I LOVE Sarah Palin!
God, and all I have to stare at is Joe Biden?
Come on...will somebody please use their BRAIN when they vote the next time?
PS: Did you hear about the Hurricane Issac bearing down in New Orleans exactly 7 years after Katrina?
"That Damn George Bush"
LMAO !

Course I reckon you know it really ain't Palin. Google "Lisa Ann" images. Make SURE you do it while NO children are around and NOT at work. She's a workin gal. lol

"That Damn George Bush"
LMAO !

The man is relentless I tell ya....LOL

BushVaca.jpg

Course I reckon you know it really ain't Palin. Google "Lisa Ann" images. Make SURE you do it while NO children are around and NOT at work. She's a workin gal. lol

Awwwww man.....That just destroyed the whole twisted senario I had playing out in my head..lol

thanks to all for the useful info. I think i'm gonna save a little more and get a hobart 140 unless some deal on a used one comes in. I don't see the logic in buying one for 300 or so then having to upgrade.

i bought an Eastwood Mig 135 sometime back. It did everything on my gas tank that I needed. Plus, I miged up some security bars for some window and it rocked. That probably doesnt say much.

I went ahead and bought the Eastwood Tig 200 also. I have some plans to make up some aluminum frames to make some custom shade structures for my back yard. That way I can get another Mopar and keep it out of the rain.

watermelon

I looked at Miller welders... probably the best on the market but how much welding am I going to do and what caliber of metal? There was no way to justify the cost for welding sheet metal on a car that once its done the welder isn't needed.

Don't waste your money on a tool your going to use for a couple times and then let sit for ever. Buy what it takes to do the job and don't go for overkill or your just wasting money. If I was going to weld for a living I would but a 220v Miller.. but thats not the case and so the Eastwood mig 135 is plenty enough welder for me and 90% of the hobbyists .... people with more work load need more welder
You can resell that Miller and get 80% of your money back after it's done. That eastwood isn't worth 30% of what you paid once you're done with it.

You can resell that Miller and get 80% of your money back after it's done. That eastwood isn't worth 30% of what you paid once you're done with it.

Since when are you ever "done" with a welder.....you are just done with "that" project

I looked at Miller welders... probably the best on the market but how much welding am I going to do and what caliber of metal? There was no way to justify the cost for welding sheet metal on a car that once its done the welder isn't needed.

Don't waste your money on a tool your going to use for a couple times and then let sit for ever. Buy what it takes to do the job and don't go for overkill or your just wasting money. If I was going to weld for a living I would but a 220v Miller.. but thats not the case and so the Eastwood mig 135 is plenty enough welder for me and 90% of the hobbyists .... people with more work load need more welder
I was responding to this gentleman's comments above as he seems to feel that "once its done the welder isn't needed."

Who buys a welder for a one time use and the sells it?
My Eastwood has done just fine ... if all your doing is sheet metal you dont need to drop big bucks on a welder... its a decent mig welder plain and simple for a decent price. Is the Miller better? Yes but it also cost more so a person has to weigh it out and from experience I can tell you the Eastwood does a great job. Have you used one?

Who buys a welder for a one time use and the sells it?
My Eastwood has done just fine ... if all your doing is sheet metal you dont need to drop big bucks on a welder... its a decent mig welder plain and simple for a decent price. Is the Miller better? Yes but it also cost more so a person has to weigh it out and from experience I can tell you the Eastwood does a great job. Have you used one?

Most people don't buy a welder for a one time use, but by your comments, I assumed you felt that it wouldn't be needed once the car was done. (if it's not needed, why would you keep it?) Re-read your post, that's how you justified buying the lower cost Eastwood. I have used the Eastwood and have also examined the insides. It's much lower in open circuit voltage, the transfomer isn't even comparable to a Miller. Once you're done with the car and decide you want to fabricate a trailer or something larger, you're stuck buying a bigger welder. More money. I have a Lincoln TIG, Lincoln MIG and a Miller MIG. I like buying these because they have local support for consumables and warranty issues, excellent performance and the units I have are made in the US. If the Eastwood works for you, then I'm happy for you.

For the hobbyist the Eastwood is just fine. Its a 110 volt welder..you plug it in anywhere and your ready to go.. I think your over analizing it and its uses.
ITs a 110 volt welder.. dont loose sight of that and you will do fine. If a person has a need for fabrication all the time they are not looking at a 110 volt plug into any outlet devise.

You dont use a 10 ft tape measure to measure 100' do you?

You cant compare it to anything but another 110 volt welder and the miller doing the same thing is a waste of money at 110 volts ... If I was looking for a 220/240 welder then its a different story ... your uses of the machine are not for occasional light work. Would you spend $2000 on a compressor when you just need it to to blow up tires? I think not, if you do then you have money to waste on overkill and most people dont.

Thats what it comes down to application and overkill.. are you going to be welding pate steel or anything thicker than what 3/8's I think it is? IF so then your not looking at a 110 volt welder simple as that. No one is saying the Miller isnt better.. its just a question of what you really need. 84" blade on a chainsaw to cut 6" rounds?

Ok its not worth getting testy over now lol.

I bought the Eastwood 220 v welder and love it. Its easily as good as my buddies Lincoln electric and I got a spool gun with it (which I haven't used yet). I have to say for a few hundred cheaper I got basically the same capability, the ability to weld aluminum and saved some money. So far I have used the crap out of this thing and had no issues. Thicker steel thinner steel it works great for both.

Now will it last 27 years at farm duty welding tractors back together....probably not. I'd spend the extra 400 for the miller to do that...but it almost doubles the price and for what most of us are doing...thats fine.

In my estimation, if you own an old Mopar and you don't want to learn to be a mechanic enough to do everything to it, you're lame. That's part of it. As easy as these old cars are to work on, a grandma could learn how. Women built war machines in WWII and if they can do it then there's no reason any man that owns an old Mopar cannot learn to do every single thing to them, except highly specialized work like maybe transmissions, differentials or machine work.

So, with that thought I've never considered a "one time" tool purchase. That's stupid as all hell. Tools are one thing that separates us from the beasts. I've just always been of the notion that if you're gonna bite the hobby off, bite off a big chunk.

As easy as these old cars are to work on, a grandma could learn how.

HAHA most of our grandmothers did!

My 67 Coronet Deluxe was owned and operated by a little old lady originally (one owner until me).
273 3 on the tree with manual brakes....and my wife complained about the manual car we owned...try driving this thing for a while hahaha

Auto Transport Service
Back