• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Timed my 69 RR 383

800-900 rpm.
Idle is too high. Should be able, with all the right settings, to get 750-800 rpm. And, keep in mind, for initial timing, the mechanical advance is affected by the idle rpm.

Hand over fist stuff. Both carb mixture/idle adjustments, and distributor timing, need to work as a team. One affects the other! If your idle rpm, for the engine, is too high, guess what's happening with the distributor's mechanical advance? It's already trying to advance, since it all works off the rpm the engine is idling.

Idle is too high. Should be able, with all the right settings, to get 750-800 rpm. And, keep in mind, for initial timing, the mechanical advance is affected by the idle rpm.

Hand over fist stuff. Both carb mixture/idle adjustments, and distributor timing, need to work as a team. One affects the other! If your idle rpm, for the engine, is too high, guess what's happening with the distributor's mechanical advance? It's already trying to advance, since it all works off the rpm the engine is idling.

Does a mopar distributor have springs for the advance? I don't remember seeing any.

On the distributor. Yes, two springs. I would suggest that if you are doing the Pertronix, then do go ahead and get the FBO advance limiting plate. It is an easy way to set the distributor up with the advance that you want. Since you are looking at the Pertronix, you are halfway to having the distributor apart enough to put the plate in anyways. FBO sells the advance plate on e-bay, or you can call them direct...their website is 4 seconds flat.

Regarding spring rates. They might be letting the curve advance too fast, it is something you can look for with the timing light. Ideally there is some but little advance until up to about 1200 rpm at the crank, then it ramps up. If you use the FBO plate, that will limit how high it will go, thus enabling you to set up initial timing at 15 to 18 degrees or thereabouts, while having total advance with no vacuum at about 34’ish. (Remember vacuum is a separate discussion from all these numbers and remains plugged while setting this). FBO provides some nice instructions that will be helpful. (They are good to talk to, and would set up your distributor for you if you wish, they believe strongly in using manifold versus ported vacuum advance, that ends up being a whole, separate, superheated thread).

On the distributor. Yes, two springs. I would suggest that if you are doing the Pertronix, then do go ahead and get the FBO advance limiting plate. It is an easy way to set the distributor up with the advance that you want. Since you are looking at the Pertronix, you are halfway to having the distributor apart enough to put the plate in anyways. FBO sells the advance plate on e-bay, or you can call them direct...their website is 4 seconds flat.

Regarding spring rates. They might be letting the curve advance too fast, it is something you can look for with the timing light. Ideally there is some but little advance until up to about 1200 rpm at the crank, then it ramps up. If you use the FBO plate, that will limit how high it will go, thus enabling you to set up initial timing at 15 to 18 degrees or thereabouts, while having total advance with no vacuum at about 34’ish. (Remember vacuum is a separate discussion from all these numbers and remains plugged while setting this). FBO provides some nice instructions that will be helpful. (They are good to talk to, and would set up your distributor for you if you wish, they believe strongly in using manifold versus ported vacuum advance, that ends up being a whole, separate, superheated thread).

Thanks, that clears up a lot. When I looked at my stock distributor I didn't see any springs. Who is FBO?

Thanks, that clears up a lot. When I looked at my stock distributor I didn't see any springs. Who is FBO?
Do a search for FBO systems or 4secondsflat on the web. I believe I have an extra new plate. Let me know if you are going that route before you buy one from him.

Do a search for FBO systems or 4secondsflat on the web. I believe I have an extra new plate. Let me know if you are going that route before you buy one from him.

Thanks, I appreciate all the help guys. I'll look them up.

Does a mopar distributor have springs for the advance?
Yes, sir! (Top Secret stuff):p

Take a look in your service manual, for the distributor. Tells you more than you ever wanted to know. It will show a break-down of the distributors, all the parts and pieces.
Your's is stock? Mopar points type distributor. Pretty basic animal.

With the cap off, you see the points breaker plate. UNDER it, is where the advance weights, and springs are located. All of 'em are basicly the same set up. Weights have a 'pin', that rides in slots, that determine the advance degrees amount. The springs, one for each of the two weights, sets the mechanical advance 'rate', or at what rpm. The two springs, normally one light, one heavy, is for a two-stage advance. Book should also tell you what mechanical advance degrees are set in that distributor.

You might also do a little research on Mopar mechanical advances. If your going to get into aftermarket distributors, it will help to understand, the different mechanical advance set-ups.

So you will need either this plate or these keys to set your advance. And probably some different springs also.

20190627_150515.jpg

So you will need either this plate or these keys to set your advance. And probably some different springs also.

View attachment 790485

I use the FBO plate all the time, on several cars now. Love it, works great. I have a Sun distributor machine and have been able to prove to myself how well it works. FBO also will send a set of three types of springs, so can tweak that as well buying their kit. Summit Racing sells the keys shown in the pic above, plus a pretty good spring assortment in the kit and instructions...so that is another way. Problem with the keys is that you either need the generation of Mopar distributor that the slot can be adjusted, or a Firecore distributor that can be adjusted, or they become a guide for your welding and grinding skills as you make the slot for the weight travel shorter.

Thanks, I am going to order the plate, I ordered the pertronix today and new coil. Does the plate come with good instructions?

Yes on the instructions. They are on the FBO website as well, somewhere in there.

Thanks, I am going to order the plate, I ordered the pertronix today and new coil. Does the plate come with good instructions?

Just thinking out loud here. Since you have never messed with any of this before, maybe it wouldn't be a terrible idea to have Don sell you a distributor set up for your motor? A lot of guys have had good results with doing this. I myself had 1 that worked great, but another 1 was a different story. After a year of messing with it and sending it back 3 times, I finally gave up and figured out how to do it myself.
Another option is contact @HALIFAXHOPS on here. I'm sure he would do just as good of a job, quicker turnaround, and cheaper than FBO.

Auto Transport Service
Back