• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Timing issue

Frankb

Local time
1:26 AM
Reaction score
Having problems getting this engine to run properly. I think timing is the issue. The pic is with #1 TDC on compression stroke. The rotor is at about the 7 O'clock looking from front of car. In this position it aligns with the designated #1 on the cap. I've seen other photos where the rotor is not at the 7 O"clock position. I'm thinking it's 180 out but I don't see how

Dist1.jpg

Dist2.jpg

as long as the rotor is pointing to cyl 1 on the cap, with the engine about 10 degrees before TDC on cyl 1 compression stroke......it will run

the orientation of the distributor does not matter, as long as it can be moved a little in either direction to dial in the timing......

180 out simply cannot run

double check your firing order

check for vacuum leak at the intake gasket

Last edited:
Factory distributor indexing.

Attachments

• 383-440-IGNITION TIMING PROCEDURE.pdf
    609.4 KB · Views: 119
  • 383-440 DISTRIBUTOR OIL PUMP DRIVE INSTALL (1) (1).pdf
    957.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 383-440 DISTRIBUTOR OIL PUMP DRIVE INSTALL (1) (1) (2).pdf
    957.9 KB · Views: 81
You have to watch the factory setting some of the big block dual points are indexed differently than a say single point also. Follow post two he is spot on.

Looks correct.
Did you pull the number 1 plug and feel compression with your finger?

I would give it some advance.

Will an engine even run if its 180 out?

Ok so this engine fired up and ran. Sounded like **** and RPM was high. Don't know the number but it was high. I shut it off after about 10-15 seconds. Can I rule out the timing being 180 out?

YES YOU CAN! Carb idle step up cam might have been engaged. A quick pop on the accelerator should let it drop off and then you can tune for curb idle rpm.

It could be as simple as bad plugs. We had 3 of 8 that didn't fire on a 440. New Autolites, didn't light.
Otherwise a compression test I would suggest.

OK, this post starts out saying that you think it is timing. Why do you think that ? Was this engine running before and you changed something ? More detail is needed, otherwise everyone is just throwing guesses out there based on very little info.

Yes. The engine was previously run on dyno. About 2 years ago. It ran well and made good numbers. I wanted to get some oil pressure before attempting to start engine after finally installed in car. I tried to do this using starter but no pressure was being produced. So I removed distributor and spun the engine over with a drill. Made pressure after about 10 seconds. Good pressure. I posted about this because I've never done before. It was recommended to rotate engine while spinning oil pump with drill. So did this too. Started at TDC on compression stroke and rotated engine six complete turns and ended up back on TDC, as determined by timing mark. I marked where the rotor was before removing distributor. At end of six rotations, distributor was reinstalled and rotor was in exact same place as when I started. Thats why I stated I don't see how it could be out of time but it runs horrible. Nothing else on the engine was touched. No carb but Holley Sniper and it has not been touched. Distributor, a Holley Hyperspark unit, was only part of this engine tampered with (remove/reinstall). Nothing else - except plug wires those were added after dyno runs.

Yes. The engine was previously run on dyno. About 2 years ago. It ran well and made good numbers. I wanted to get some oil pressure before attempting to start engine after finally installed in car. I tried to do this using starter but no pressure was being produced. So I removed distributor and spun the engine over with a drill. Made pressure after about 10 seconds. Good pressure. I posted about this because I've never done before. It was recommended to rotate engine while spinning oil pump with drill. So did this too. Started at TDC on compression stroke and rotated engine six complete turns and ended up back on TDC, as determined by timing mark. I marked where the rotor was before removing distributor. At end of six rotations, distributor was reinstalled and rotor was in exact same place as when I started. Thats why I stated I don't see how it could be out of time but it runs horrible. Nothing else on the engine was touched. No carb but Holley Sniper and it has not been touched. Distributor, a Holley Hyperspark unit, was only part of this engine tampered with (remove/reinstall). Nothing else - except plug wires those were added after dyno runs.

so you pulled the distributor and put it back in "close" to where it was......sounds like you need a timing light, 10 degrees in either direction, anywhere near TDC can make a huge difference...... and after 2 years, you may have multiple issues; I'd open up the carb as it may be jammed up with nastiness from old evaporated gas

It's efi.

I wonder if the lifters got too pumped up with all the priming and turning.
If it was a vacuum leak, you could put your thumb over the idle air port

Get it timed properly.
Then let's see.
I don't know about holley but MSD has a function to lock the timing so you can set it with a light.

Auto Transport Service
Back