• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tips for stabilizing before removing rear body panels

TexasRoadRunner68

Local time
1:19 PM
Reaction score
I am finally about to dig into my 68 charger...it’s leveled on jack stands. Just the shell, but the rear end is still suspended from the leaf springs. Should this be removed before I take off the quarters, tail panel, etc? Clearly I don’t want anything twisting on me

I know there are differing opinions. I have seen Chris Birdsong disassemble the back of the car with the motor trans and rear end in place. He usually welds up dune buggy braces to move anything, but on jack stands he removes the panels unbraced, and normally braces it before moving or rolling.

5F882D5E-4E27-4409-9B92-F2D52279E3A5.jpeg

Yes, remove the rear end, and support the car just in front of the rear end on the frame rail. also, support the
back end of the car where the bumper bolts on because it will sag when you cut things loose! Also, weld a piece
of 1/2" thinwall electrical conduit across the trunk opening right where the gasket gets glued on just before it
makes the downturn to keep the opening stable. Now you can cut everything loose and not worry about things
moving. I have some pic's posted here on where and how to put the quarters on. If you need them, let me know!

Yes, remove the rear end, and support the car just in front of the rear end on the frame rail. also, support the
back end of the car where the bumper bolts on because it will sag when you cut things loose! Also, weld a piece
of 1/2" thinwall electrical conduit across the trunk opening right where the gasket gets glued on just before it
makes the downturn to keep the opening stable. Now you can cut everything loose and not worry about things
moving. I have some pic's posted here on where and how to put the quarters on. If you need them, let me know!

Awesome, the trunk rails are good. But it’s getting full amd quarters, roof skin, Dutchman, etc. I’m thinking I’ll do the crossmember and then the trunk pan first, then maybe brace the rails to the trunk pan

I agree with zyzzyx it will make life easier for you with all the work you plan on doing. I would brace it up before you do quarters.

Auto Transport Service
Back