• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tips on floorpans…

TexasRoadRunner68

Local time
9:11 AM
Reaction score
I am working on drivetrain, and I’m guessing it’s best to at least have great floors before installing. I will need to replace the rear footwells and at least patch parts of the front. The previous owners left 2 layers of carpet in the car while sitting outside, leading to some crusties.

Is it even worth patching the OEM pans or is it easier to just do a full AMD pan along with the rear footwells?

And do you need the car leveled on jack stands for floors, or can I cut these out without much issue. My rockers are pretty good and the torsion bar crossmember is great. It’s a pretty solid car with rust in the usual areas. I do not want anything moving on the car. If I can just cut them out with it sitting on its suspension in my garage that would be ideal.

Could be an issue things moving around on a 2 door hardtop. I replaced the the left front pan, rear footwell, and a small patch on the right front floor pan. My car is 4 door sedan with a rocker to roof b pillar.

full pan is almost easier, and allows for a thorough cleaning

20220302_163314-jpg.jpg

20220303_221214-jpg.jpg

20220323_160720-jpg.jpg

20220323_160727-jpg.jpg

20220408_222306-jpg.jpg

but this car was much cleaner and partial floors were already purchaced........ sectioning requires some butt welding

20221223_174624-jpg.jpg

20221223_174513-jpg.jpg

I did mine sitting and levelled on about 8 jackstands. 4-door hardtop with doors off. Body is likely less rigid than 2-door hardtop. After floors were in, I had weld in frame connectors added. We did this with car sitting in its suspension.

Hard to tell whithout cleaning it up. Then cut out whats bad. Now whats left thats good? You'll know what you need. Either way make sure evety thing is clean and primed. Make sure it fits nice and flush. It'll take some bended and prying to make it set flush on the rails.
Doug

Reuse the shifter hump or more effort than it’s worth for $180

gotta draw the line somewhere....... that shifter hump probably cleans up in an hour....... they're held on with several blobs of weld around the edge, not spot welds

gotta draw the line somewhere....... that shifter hump probably cleans up in an hour....... they're held on with several blobs of weld around the edge, not spot welds
Can I just start cutting them out with the car in the ground, or is the whole jack stand and level thing that important? Engine and trans are already out.

Can I just start cutting them out with the car in the ground, or is the whole jack stand and level thing that important? Engine and trans are already out.
I did mine on jack stands to keep remaining structure true. The floor of your car is a major part of the strength and integrity of the unit body.

I've done both ways, weight on suspension and car on dollies with no suspension...... but always level

the rockers and roof hold everything together pretty good anyway

Auto Transport Service
Back