• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tips on removing intake manifold?

wsutard

Local time
1:58 AM
Reaction score
I'm in the process of installing a new manifold gasket. I need some tips on removing my Edelbrock manifold. It seems to be glued down very well. I have an AC compressor right in the front so my access is limited.

I'm concerned about prying on any part of the manifold since its aluminum.

Anyone have tips they can share on releasing it?

Last edited:
Using some rags and a block of wood, you should be able to pry off the front valley pan steel hold-down bar to underneath the manifold. Once the seal of glue is broken, the manifold should release.

First I would try placing a wooden block against the front of the manifold and strike it with a heavy hammer to try to shear the adhesive. If stuck to good for that you will probably have to resort to prying it up.

I have had success with pulling up on manifold with one hand just above the pan and using a rubber hammer to stride the manifold all around. I have always found one corner that lets go. Once the seal is broken, it is a piece of cake. On one occasion I had to give it a little "assist" with using a razor knife to start a corner. Just don't want to be aggressive and nick the surface.

I slid a putty knife in the front and broke the front seal. Still holding tight.
There must be major RTV around the ports.

Got it out. It put up one hell of a fight. The gap in the front was large enough for a gasket scraper. Used that to pry just enough to get my putty knife in on the sides. Surprisingly, there wasn't any RTV on the sides. Just a blue FelPro and a metal one.

Anyone have thoughts on the condition of my manifold mating surface or how to get the rtv residue off without killing myself with carb cleaner fumes?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Take it to a machine shop and have it machined flat if you want.
Get a scotch brite pad on a arbor disc, put it in a cordless drill, and clean it off. Acetone should take it off as well. Many ways to clean the manifold

Auto Transport Service
Back