• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tire choices

Paul_G

Local time
4:18 PM
Reaction score
I have to decide on what tires to put on the 69 Hemi car. It makes over 700 WHP. That makes the decision a little tough. Sizes I need are Front 245/45-17, Rear 275/40-17

I am leaning toward Mickey Thompson ET Street tires on the back, with an all season on the front.
Discount tire $1025, or for cheaper get the MT from summit, the General G Max from Tire Rack and have a them all installed at a local LLanta store. $961
Or
Go with all four Michelin Pilot Sport. Costco $814
Or
go cheap with all four General Gmax tires. Discount tire $664

Undecided?

I would go with the ET street radials from Summit racing. Then buy your front tires from either Les Schwab or Discount tire.

You should pick the tire based on what type of driving you'll be doing, how the car is set up, and how you want it to perform best (straight line performance, street, highway, or some combo). Otherwise, the only thing I would add is that there is some advantage to warranty and service buying the tires from the installer.

You should pick the tire based on what type of driving you'll be doing, how the car is set up, and how you want it to perform best (straight line performance, street, highway, or some combo). Otherwise, the only thing I would add is that there is some advantage to warranty and service buying the tires from the installer.

Thats the dilemma. This is a street cruiser. So the logical choice would be the all season performance tires, General or Michellin. On the other hand, even on the street people see the car and expect it to jump and go, right now I get tire smoke. The Mickey Thompson Drag Radials would be best for that. The tires on the car now are toast, aged out, so they have no traction at all.

Last Friday night late, leaving cruise night a guy in a fat tire Nova gest next to me, Naturally we go for short bursts. He pulled away every time, I just smoked the tires.

That seems to lead to the answer amongst your choices, but with 700+ whp you will need to wear the lightest right shoe possible still.

I have a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S on a Charger Hellcat and love them. Different animal obviously but they hook up very well. They look great and ride very nice. A great all around performance tire IMO.

I have a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S on a Charger Hellcat and love them. Different animal obviously but they hook up very well. They look great and ride very nice. A great all around performance tire IMO.
Thinking it over the last few days, the drag radials may be a bad choice. This is a convertible car. It has frame connectors, but no roll cage. It may not be a good idea to put too sticky of a tire on it.

The Michelin's may be the better choice for a convertible.

Auto Transport Service
Back