• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tire ride quality

I don't know but you generally want to avoid low profile tires and get as much profile as possible:

maxresdefault.jpg

You also might want to air them down a bit for a smoother ride.

Most factory tires were a 78 profile. Nowadays a 75 or 80% aspect ratio. 80% of course will give more dampening effect than 75%.

Recently put these Cooper tires on my 66 Charger. Very pleased with them.. Lots of tread depth, handling is great and they run much quieter than the Goodrich TA Radials I previously had on the car.
IMG_7646.JPG

Pirelli P1 all season is a softer riding and quiet tire. Had them on the wifes car, but on 18" rims.

The taller the tire sidewall, the softer the ride.
.....but then there's shocks, and springs. More effect than tire sidewall.

Oops, I think the P Zero model. Car has the P7 model now. They seem just a bit stiffer. Before those two, had Continental Extreme Contact DWS. Stiffer, more of a performance tire.

Oops, I think the P Zero model. Car has the P7 model now. They seem just a bit stiffer. Before those two, had Continental Extreme Contact DWS. Stiffer, more of a performance tire.
Thanks for the info. Dave

Depending what you want. A 75 series is the most base tire you can get. I buy Hercules Ironman brand.
Love 'um.
A division Of Cooper tires. A 215/75/15 is under $75 in most areas.
Not saying this is what you are looking for but maybe others out there.

Last edited:
The tread depth of the new tire will also make a difference. The deeper the tread combined with the lowest tread wear rating (think soft rubber) will help

I have a set of Micky Thompson S/Ts on a car that seem to ride really well. They are pretty much the same tire as the Cooper Cobra

+1 on the Cooper Cobras. I didn't have high expectations because they were so inexpensive... but I just put them on my Charger in place of the 14" tires that were on it when I bought it and it's like going from 50's jeep to 70's C-Body.

8_8.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back