• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tire Size Question

1969VAGTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:07 AM
Reaction score
I am ordering a set of redline radials to put on my GTX. Pretty sure the current Poly Glass tires on the car are not in good shape given the amount of vibrations while driving. The car has F70-15 tires on it which I believe equals about a 215/70R15 size. Is it possible to go up to a slightly larger size with the stock steel wheels - like a 225 or 235? Would appreciate some feedback. Thanks.

I went down a similar road last year when I wanted to max out the width of the tires on the rear of my 67 Coronet. Measure the clearance of your existing tires and then you’ll know how much room you have. I went on Diamondback’s website https://dbtires.com/ to figure out what would fit. FYI I chose the SS tire as it was reasonable and I liked the look, very happy.

The factory put G70-15s on A12 cars on six inch rims, so, 225s will fit for sure. Mine has 235/60x15s on the stock 6" wheels on the front.

What is the width of the wheel ?

I have to admit I don't know the width for certain. But they are the stock steel wheels. The car currently has F70-15 tires mounted up. From the looks of things, it has plenty of clearance in the wheel wells.

There is about a 95% chance (maybe more) that they are 6" wide.
There is info around on how to read the numbers stamped into the wheel, found around the valve stem hole on stock steelies.
Hemi and Sixpack cars are the ONLY 15" wheels on b-body cars in 69. Everything else got 14"wheels.

I have to admit I don't know the width for certain. But they are the stock steel wheels. The car currently has F70-15 tires mounted up. From the looks of things, it has plenty of clearance in the wheel wells.
The wheelwells are not your only concern, it's the bead width of the tire vs. the bead width of the wheel. Nevertheless, as posted, probably 6" wide & 225/70 would be no problem.

Decided to go with the 215/70-15s. Seemed like a safe play. Ordered a set from Diamondback this afternoon.

Auto Transport Service
Back