• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To add a Supercharger or not to???

Im not a good reference to recomend what you should do or how to go about it. Just think that what you have might need a little tweaking to get you where you want to be.
I had spoken to Todd and was just about to pull the trigger on those exact heads w/ the same work, I just happened across a set of Eddys that were too good of a deal to pass on. He was very helpful and provided a lot of info.
Personally I would look at the gearing you have now. Im curious what gear you are running, if you want that "quickness" feel..gears would certainly make the most economical and seat of the pants type improvement. Maybe a cam swap to utilize more of the heads flow capabilities. Like I said earlier youre making pretty good power.
This was my build and I still have the cam kit, and it switched directions (cam) as I found a roller That is just a little bigger. It made 537/581 w/ XE275HL. That was on an old motor that they did nothing to. Im expecting a little more since mine is fresh.
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/mopar-440-update/

You are correct about my gears. I am running 3.23 gears so that it is highway friendly. I deeply regret building the 727, I should have went with on overdrive transmission. I might be better served to swap to an overdrive transmission with a lower rear gear rather than trying to build more power.

Can the injectors be upgraded and how many cfm can it flow?
I have the Terminator, which should easily support what Im doing...but the injectors can be upgraded and support 1100 according to Holley as well as having free HP ECU upgrade. Dont know if Ill ever venture in to the deep end of that pool though...

Yes the injectors can be upgraded to 3 different sizes that are bigger than what comes in it. And any new programing is free with this as well. It flows 1100CFM. It will not support the same HP as your terminator, but it is very close.

Its not too late, I think Cope has the Gearvendors for $2900 shipped... Do that and a 4.10 you would still be $$$ ahead!!!

Hi i have a procharged 440 (505) w edelbrock pro Flo intake but use holley hp efi on this and its real fun when the bypass valve is closing and boost is loading
IMG_20191123_115514_313.jpg
IMG_20191123_115514_312.jpg

put some mr gasket .028 head gaskets to give you some quench
use cometics if boosted and surfaces are to cometics spec
you can open the chambers 5cc
and or D dish those pistons
I've done them 100 thou deep

e85 available?

Hi i have a procharged 440 (505) w edelbrock pro Flo intake but use holley hp efi on this and its real fun when the bypass valve is closing and boost is loadingView attachment 925300 View attachment 925301

That is an awesome setup! Just curious, what is your static compression ratio? How much boost are you pushing? What type of fuel are you using? I see you aren't running an intercooler, so I guess you are running water/meth injection? Any idea about the power output?
Sorry to bombard you with questions, I'm just really curious what is working for others. Thanks.

e85 available?

That is a good point. I could change the gaskets to get better quench (the .028 you mentioned would raise my compression from 9.7 to 9.9 and give me .046 quench) but open the chambers 5cc that you mentioned would bring the compression back down to 9.52 even with the thinner gaskets. I hadn't considered opening up the chambers.

That is an awesome setup! Just curious, what is your static compression ratio? How much boost are you pushing? What type of fuel are you using? I see you aren't running an intercooler, so I guess you are running water/meth injection? Any idea about the power output?
Sorry to bombard you with questions, I'm just really curious what is working for others. Thanks.
Hi i have build this first AS a 446 w eagle crank and rods and 9.2 je piston w edelbrock rpm heads and a mild crane cam 2 stage water/meth kit. 95 oqtane and 14psi boost was 588hp at the tire.. But because of a bad first gen holley dual sync distributor i destroy the ringland on the je pistons. So now the same block w molnar-technologies crank and rods custom CP 9:1 pistons 505 cid. bullet cam and trickflow 240 heads and harland sharp roller rocker. And holley hp efi w water meth kit. I dont have IT on a Dyno yet but this combo work god and have way more power... I also use a ptc 10.5 converter 3200 stall cope 727 race5 and gearvendor to a moser Dana 60 3.73.

Hi i have build this first AS a 446 w eagle crank and rods and 9.2 je piston w edelbrock rpm heads and a mild crane cam 2 stage water/meth kit. 95 oqtane and 14psi boost was 588hp at the tire.. But because of a bad first gen holley dual sync distributor i destroy the ringland on the je pistons. So now the same block w molnar-technologies crank and rods custom CP 9:1 pistons 505 cid. bullet cam and trickflow 240 heads and harland sharp roller rocker. And holley hp efi w water meth kit. I dont have IT on a Dyno yet but this combo work god and have way more power... I also use a ptc 10.5 converter 3200 stall cope 727 race5 and gearvendor to a moser Dana 60 3.73.
Sorry for My writing but i live in norway and I dont use english so mutch.

9:5 will narrow your tuning window.I love boost,but in your case to really enjoy a power increase more engine mods should be done.For the once in a blue moon fast pass consider nitrous,the kit is less than any boost.

e85 available?
Most times we agree. But I wouldn't dish the pistons. Been there done it. Pour the coals to it and they will sag in the middle. This why I recommend a dedicated boost style piston with at least .250" crown thickness. We've also fond that quench doesn't seem to matter much in boosted applications.
Doug

I'd feel right a home in your garage Mr. H-ITIS!

good point doug
I was using the trw 6 pack pistons which are pretty heavy and thick
took them down to where the valve notches dissapeared

what is your point hemi?
stating the obvious?
post 1
-440 block with factory steel crank and rods bored 0.030" with 2355 pistons
which are the ones I dished
you can get the calipers out and measure the thickness
now about quench
it certainly helps unless you are always running above the torque peak
I;ve ru 50 lbs boost and quench was critical in a circle track application where we had to come off a corner
ditto with several blown BBM's I've built
now race gas and always high revs not so much
so I'd tighten the quench and have less ping, less timing critical nd more tolerant of bad gas
get the cc's out of the heads and pistons if necessary or change pistons

Nitrous and boosted applications need thicker domes unless the boost boost is kept low. It's extreamly hard NOT to run more boost!!:rolleyes:
Foe street driving I am at 6lbs of boost close to 800hp on premium pump with 10% corn

Most times we agree. But I wouldn't dish the pistons. Been there done it. Pour the coals to it and they will sag in the middle. This why I recommend a dedicated boost style piston with at least .250" crown thickness. We've also fond that quench doesn't seem to matter much in boosted applications.
Doug
I wouldn't mind opening up the chambers a little, but I personally wouldn't be comfortable machining the top of the piston. I'm not saying that it won't work, I'm just saying that I'm not comfortable doing that.

good point doug
I was using the trw 6 pack pistons which are pretty heavy and thick
took them down to where the valve notches dissapeared
Did you measure the dome thickness before and after machining the dome of the piston?????

yep
those trw slugs are thick
you do not have to go much deeper than the valve notches

Auto Transport Service
Back