• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tony D'Agostino responds to comments about GYC show...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Early Legendary Motor Cars was interesting. No horsing around when they showed restoration segments. Only mopar I remember was a green Cuda. Later it became a buy/sell cars.

Yeah I liked Legendary early on but then it became just a show about high end car values, how he made deals, etc. Some very nice cars there but I lost interest in seeing him buy and sell and then when his kid got involved I stopped watching, I just could not take a 20 something kid taking like he was the "heat" about expensive rare cars. Then of course, he used Daddys money to get him into race cars and that really killed it. Not hating on the kid, just no interest in seeing that.

I think what the real issue is ,is that Mark continues to claim that he is doing original OE Gold type of restorations, bringing the cars back to the day they were built,and that he is the number one Mopar restoration shop in the country, and now the world, and we all know that it's not true. Admittedly I was never into OE Gold restorations, but I am also not on National television claiming to be the guru of those types of restorations. Justin posted his build thread on here and shared exactly what is involved to correctly build a car to that level, and as I read that thread,I realize that the cars I have built for the last 40 years are not even on first base in that arena. Marks cars are not either. It's becoming a poorly scripted wannabe comedy show, that the producers have become characters on,instead of the people building the cars! And nothing against Marks daughter, but putting her in charge of quality control, instead of hiring a knowledgeable Mopar professional. ....please!

On every Mopar related forum this subject comes up and some "poo poo" the fact that it does, but IMO this shows that we as a community are concerned and in many cases offended by it which obviously is no concern of GYC. That said, at the end of the day you don't have to watch it but that would not stop me from commenting on and expressing my opinions about it. I have no illusion that the show will change, the die is cast and they think they have a formula that works and keeps them on the air, so be it but that doesn't mean we all have to like it. Its when their "rep" and inclusion into the hobby gets put into your face that it becomes an issue.

The sanding scratches Tony was looking at and went to the painter about them. Painter said they'd wet sand and buff out?? I'm not a paint guy but don't buy it. Like to know though.

Now you guys have me curious....
I'm going to have to find an article or thread or story somewhere about the whole process of
taking a car through judging at the national level.
It's something I obviously have ZERO experience at; I just see snippets here and there in
publications.
Time to see what I can find and you know me - I gotta know tangible facts - who,what,where,
when,why. :)

Now you guys have me curious....
I'm going to have to find an article or thread or story somewhere about the whole process of
taking a car through judging at the national level.
It's something I obviously have ZERO experience at; I just see snippets here and there in
publications.
Time to see what I can find and you know me - I gotta know tangible facts - who,what,where,
when,why. :)
Like the idea Ed, it will be interesting what you find out. Look at the politics of judging also, bet @moparnation74 could write a book on that.

Like the idea Ed, it will be interesting what you find out. Look at the politics of judging also, bet @moparnation74 could write a book on that.
There's more valuable information in a single post of Justin's expansive and comprehensive restoration thread, than there is in an entire episode of GYC. And the information contained within was willingly shared for free here at FBBO. :lowdown:

In quote marks are what a member had posted:

“why ask a question and then block someone when they answer even though you don't like the answer, typically juvenile and just speaks to how jacked up GYC is.”

They have no problem with constructive criticism. Look at all of it on their postings/threads, but when it’s nasty and just an attack, it will be deleted and or member banned.

Here is a perfect example on this thread “the greasy parts flipper” from a perfect ….., I’ll just take the high road here.

Believe it or not, not everyone has the time to check all around the internet to see what’s being said about them. I was just alerted of this thread today. I haven’t posted here for a long time and don’t “troll” around here, and Mark is way busier so I’m sure the same for him. Many of the GYC FB, twitter, etc. posts aren’t done directly by him either, but by staff.

So now because Mark was honest and forthcoming in regards to his Fury/Belvedere descriptions for sale ad on eBay he is no good?

I can’t even imagine the fallout if he wasn’t upfront about everything.

And I pity those that believe that every job that leaves top restoration shops don’t ever have any issues, pahlease, It’s just that GYC is under the world’s biggest microscope and many love to find something to “gotcha” about, while some are just jealous.
Tough crowd.

Mark likes to be up front about his work, if there is an issue he’ll own it and correct it, like he should.

He’ll even show it on the show where I think many others wouldn’t. So he is dammed if he does and dammed if he doesn’t.

He has compensated for repairs that many would have thought that he probably shouldn’t have. Remember when you buy a brand new car, it has a warranty, why? In case there are problems! I’ve personally had paint issues with brand new vehicles. When you’re a resto shop and a customer has a mechanical issue it can present a hurdle if the customer is across the country, (most shops say “bring it back and they’ll fix it”, but you know the expense of that?) but I’ve seen Mark say have it repaired, just send me a bill.

In regards to the mention of the fender splash shield not being on the front fender of the 71 Cuda when the side marker was being installed. The splash shields, undercarriage markings, spot undercoating and touch up are all the very last things they do, so it wasn’t overlooked, just not installed yet.

They do show and promote products that don’t get given to them, I’m positive. They do it as a service to let people know the products that they know work.

While some liked Darrin on the show, many didn’t and vehemently complained. Some like the comedy, some hate it, some like a little bit of comedy and personality thrown in. it’s a tuff balance to find.

And any character on the show can be presented in such a way to make them look a little be one way or another, while they’re still the same person, editing can go a long way to show the good or the bad of a character, on any show.

In regards to them not doing “OE Gold” type restorations, of course they don’t. In that case the owner would have to supply parts and their labor would cost a lot more. They do stock OEM = original like most Mopar restoration shops do, VS hot rods or resto mods on a regular basis. Labor at an OE restoration shop would probably cost $125k plus, believe me. GYC restos are closer to half that WITH parts included.

I believe they had it right the past few seasons. But this season Motor Trend did GYC to be more about personalities and less about the cars. Like was quoted from me on another forum, that didn’t seem to sit well with most, so they are going back to how it was.

I promise you that they care an awful lot about Mopars, about the show and the making of the show. It isn’t as easy as what you may think, as most things aren’t.

As far as the BS FP posts, thats just what it is, BS. I won't waste my time.

I hope this answers some of the issues brought up here, but for others, from what I’ve learned is that haters are gonna hate no matter what.

Justin, im surprised your negativity towards me, i didnt know you felt like that towards me. please explain how my not posting here has to do with my ego and lining my poockets? but since you choose to take it to the forum and not call or email me, ill respond here. i had no idea of this tread til about 15 minutes ago. i dont troll , lurk and havent posted on this on this board/forum for a couple of years now. im not going to say that im not biased, but im also not going to post anything that isnt truthful, and i think i have a better grasp of what really goes opn better then anyone else here. how about this, why didnt anyone here send me a private message, email or call me and i gladly wouldve responded, like im doing know. is that good enuff for ya?
When the respect is lost....hearing the same nonsense via phone, email, text, letter is a waste of my time...I do not need another conversation from you covering up for the inadequacies, excuses etc of your buddy.....old news but is still the same new news and has not changed...

you two guys are so out of touch with the Mopar community it is rather comical and evident every week....

look at all the other comments from members here....throw your ego down and look and listen.....can you do that?

The sanding scratches Tony was looking at and went to the painter about them. Painter said they'd wet sand and buff out?? I'm not a paint guy but don't buy it. Like to know though.
that was in the "prepaint" they prepaint the car, sand it, then final paint

There's more valuable information in a single post of Justin's expansive and comprehensive restoration thread, than there is in an entire episode of GYC. And the information contained within was willingly shared for free here at FBBO. :lowdown:
Do you think any of the two elephants in the room took note? One definitely takes notes though.....

The big supporters they claim to be....

Hey Frank, aka flypaper.
You've had a problem with me for years with not 1 first hand dealing with me.
Your just an unhappy person that is jealous that others have been able to do what you couldn't. I don't hate you but feel sorry for you that you have to lie and quote other liars when it fits your agenda to make you feel better about yourself. So because I support a Mopar TV show that you don't approve of that also makes me "shady". Have at it Frank, I hope you're able to find something that brings positiveness and joy to your life.

Last edited:
Dont pass judgement on me...
You know nothing about me

I'm not
Passing off a 300k rust bucket Daytona with fake province and playing scamster games with people
Like you have done your whole life.
At least I get to answer your scumbag comments here
My first impression of you when I met you
In the 90's
Said it all to me..

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont pass judgement on me little pathetic man You know nothing about me

I'm not Passing off a 300k rust bucket Daytona with fake province and playing scamster games with people Like you have done your whole life. At least I get to answer your scumbag comments here My first impression of you when I met you
In the 90's Said it all to me..

I wont justify your very false statements with a response to them. But I do hope you feel and get better, don't be too proud to seek outside help, I've heard it can do wonders, even with people as badly afflicted as you are. good luck!

Hey Frank, aka flypaper.
You've had a problem with me for years with not 1 first hand dealing with me.

Wrong

Bought a couple of e body parts one time from you
Way back when you started out
With a paper list of over priced crap you sold
It was junk waste of my money
That I should of returned when I opened the box.
I let that go
After that
You dont want me to discribe
My encounter with you at etown swap
When I had a spot
With you being a insulting lowball hemorrhoid
I knew from back then not to deal with you
So I have avoided you since then
As you left a bad taste in my mouth then
Been decades

Your mind so forgets the past
Because they jerked around enough people
They dont remember them all
So dont start your reply to me
With a lie.
That makes your lame insults at me
Just xpose your ugly character

Last edited:
I call B.S. on the splash shields not being installed yet! They had no intention of installing them,they are enough of a bitch to install with the fender on a stand or a bench! I know as I must have installed them say 35 or 40 times while test fitting AMD fenders for E bodies. There is no way anyone is going to put them in after,with the grill,marker lights, and fender bolted onto a painted near completed car. Keep making excuses for their subpar work, maybe that customer would have sent that one back too when the fenders rotted out on a two year old restoration!

Whether you like Tony or not, I appreciate that he showed enough decency to join in this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back