• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Too much play in power steering pulley mopar?

UKPlymouth

Local time
12:21 PM
Reaction score
Guys, I have a rumbling coming fro the pulley on my power steering pump. The pulley can be moved back and forth and easily deflected with a screwdriver. Assuming the bearing is worn out?
Never seen a rebuild kit with bearings just seals.

What car/engine? The old muscle car era pulleys are solid without any bearing in them. If it's say a 1970 440, then your "play" would be from:
a) a missing woodruff key (spelling?) - similar to what's on a crank shaft that locates the harmonic balancer
b) power steering pump bearings
c) super-duper worn out O.D on power steering pump shaft or super-duper worn out I.D. on solid steel pulley

They used to make a rebuild kit for them. I have rebuilt a couple of the Federal Pumps found on mopars. The kit includes large o ring tank seal, new bearing/bushings, pump seal, pressure spring and pump vanes if I remember correctly

Guys the car is a 340 motor. Never seen a rebuild kit with bearings, seems like replacement of the whole pump is required these days

lars corporation has excellent pumps and they powder coat the case I purchased one through YEAR INC. great quality, and much better than the part stores. Made the steering work better than my 165000 mile original, I think it slowly wore out, but never did leak.

Rockauto sells rebuild power steering pump kits they are around $8 to $25

For Saginaw, TRW, and Chrysler pumps

Thanks guys, got a replacement ordered. Hopefully that's the last item to be replaced on the car;done everything else!

IMG_0311.JPG

The nice thing about the saginaws is that a lot of the remanned pumps will fit the older housings.

Auto Transport Service
Back