• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Too shifty

Moparbuster

Local time
9:13 PM
Reaction score
I have an rv transmission in my 69 roadrunner I recently been running mt drag radials and discovered that my trans shifts into 2nd around 3000 rpms and I can't hold it in low gear never noticed because street tires spun so easily do I need another valve body or another trans it works great otherwise

Some models in those years would wear out the governor seal rings quite quickly. If you get into the governor, check the rings for side wear.
Mike

there is the shift governor in the tail shaft of the 727
you can adjust the shift there once the linkage is correct
This article explains it

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/mopp-0208-increasing-shift-speeds-on-the-727-torqueflite/
This is a modification I do on all my transmission rebuilds along with a shift kit. I find that a majority of the 727's that I see have the heavy weights in the governor. I have a machinist friend modify the outer and inner weights to match Chrysler's Hemi pieces.

The fact that you can't hold first gear would make me think that something is going on with your valve body. Maybe not being able to hold first gear was something that Chrysler engineered into RV transmissions? If you are going to replace your valve body, go with a 1971 or newer with part-throttle kick-down. This way, you don't have to floor it to shift to lower gear.

Auto Transport Service
Back