• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tools Explained

No gloves for me....
I have tough hands and I'm careful.

Jeff
I don't know what it is but safety precautions usually result in accidents for me so I don't tend to worry about it anymore.

I was doing some lathe work and decided to put on some thick gloves and whataya know a long shaving got drug across my finger and cut all the way to the bone! I know... should have stopped and ground a chip break into the bit. Safety glasses, every significant eye injury I've had was with glasses on! It's like bad luck or something for me.

tumblr_o97lwwTBW91t0xdrao1_400.jpg

Here's one you don't see everyday. One of Black and Deckers better ideas, a battery powered adjustable wrench. Kids got it for me many years ago.
20190106_154149.jpg
20190106_154207.jpg

Here's one you don't see everyday. One of Black and Deckers better ideas, a battery powered adjustable wrench. Kids got it for me many years ago.
View attachment 701337 View attachment 701338
I remember those. Yes, cool idea indeed.
Only problem with them was who wants to deal with a dead battery in a ******* crescent wrench.
I hate it when I have to grab one at all, let alone one with a dead battery.
We used to call those an MSW.
Mexican Speed Wrench.
:rofl:

Only problem with them was who wants to deal with a dead battery in a ******* crescent wrench.
Mexican Speed Wrench.

I like it as a novel fun tool that doesn't have to be practical to be cool.
Many of us gearheads collect tools for the same reasons we collect the things we use them on. Most of both seldom get any real-world use for us.

Here is a pic. of a small part of an anvil collection. One might suppose this owner would also like hammers.
maxresdefault.jpg

2032089097_924f819c21_z.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
I dig anvils actually.
The pic below is in my shop (hence the reason behind the "location" in my signature). 120 pounder. The stand is my design. The pipe is filled with concrete.
This was my great-grandfather's, he purchased it new in the late 1800s from England.
Big deal for a Colorado farmer back in those days.
It's always good to have a nice solid place to beat the **** out of things.
Anvil.JPG

Mexican Speed Wrench.

They are worthless, just like a regular one. I always called them "knuckle busters".

The kids thought it was something I could use. It's the thought that counts and I'll always cherish it!

They are worthless, just like a regular one. I always called them "knuckle busters".

The kids thought it was something I could use. It's the thought that counts and I'll always cherish it!
When ya can’t remember the size ya need??? They’re golden.

When dealing with hydraulic hoses and airlines on a semi, a quality adjustable comes in handy. I only use American made and I have them from 6 inches all the way to 24 inches. I never use them on a nut or bolt, that doesn't end well.

Yep-- And when doing demo work on something with various sizes involved --they can save many trips to find a "proper" tool to do the same task. (get it apart).
Also, I have had my share of "busted knuckles" just learning how to use the best fitting wrenches.:) (Did the wrench hurt me?-was the question I asked myself?)

Last edited:
a quality adjustable comes in handy.

That is a key comment. --They can actually fit better than a dedicated size wrench would.
I have been there a few times when even the correct size tubing wrench just spread open and rounded the corners of the flats. An adjustable was a backup that worked.

All tools come in various qualities. BTW I have a couple of "adjustable wrenches" that also work fine as hammers and prybars. (multiple use adjustable-TOOLS).:D

Auto Transport Service
Back