• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tools Explained

66' in a chain...

Is that just 66' or something other than 66.000'.:) -Perhaps some sort of a fraction (plus or minus) was used to divide a chain into smaller parts in those days?

When the numeral "0" was invented for math purposes- it was the beginning of the metric system.--Hello ten -AKA 1.0

Last edited:
4x8 sheet of plywood. 16” on center. 2x4 stud framing. None of the US’s building dimensions and products are metric. I once looked at bidding on a US Corps of Engineers designed project ($2M) that was designed in metric. We could not find enough subcontractors interested in even submitting a bid.

In engineering school, we had to learn both systems (late 1970s) because metric was coming to the US. It never made it. I learned later that because our government would not pay all the costs for US manufacturing to throw out all of their SAE based equipment to buy metric equivalents, it was too costly a change. Now we have a system caught between both. That’s why we are always losing our 10 mm sockets.:lol:

66 feet, 22 yards or 4 rods ! lol
Were you a surveyor in a previous life? I just remember some of these measurements from building fence and measuring acreage years ago. Fence posts were always a rod apart.

I must be the only psychopath on this forum that has never lost a 10mm socket. The metric system was just a tool manufacturer’s conspiracy to sell more tools. Working on farm equipment from the nineties, fasteners on the drivetrain were metric, the rest were standard. Had to have two sets wrenches, two sets of sockets, allen wrenches, etc….

Once you get used to the Metric system, you'll realize that it is massively superior to either Imperial or US measurement. I am Canadian and we have been metric for some 45 years now. There are those who refuse to use the superior system, but they are slowly disappearing. The trick is to simply use it. Don't try to convert one system to another. Just use it. You will quickly get used to it.

A perfect example is temperature. In the metric system, zero is the freezing point of water, 100 is the boiling point of water, 20 is comfortable room temperature or a nice spring day. Thirty is damned hot and -30 is damned cold. All else falls in between. What else do you need to know?

By the way, kilo and metre is kil'ometre. Kilom'eder is not a word and it is a massively common error. Wake up!

Take it easy gramps, you don't have to shove it down people's throats.
I've been using both for 40+ years too but I still prefer Fahrenheit for temps 70+ and Celsius for temps colder than that - it's just the way my brain is wired. I'm about to work on my car right now and it'll be imperial all the way.

I'm still using Imperial. The only real thing I caught on to was the temp thing. 0*C= freezing 30*C=HOTTTTT!
Oh that litre thing is kind of easy to understand 4L = 1 gallon lol sorry still gallons lol

Living in Australia I started with inches then changed to metric. My love of old cars both Aussie and American plus doing an apprenticeship on mostly American diesels kept my imperial spanners busy but I do like the metric system. If I had to choose the metric would win every time

c11f910e2b9bfe1348354e45293f23e882070b18.jpg

And a "Red" cunt hair for super fine measurements such as in machine work. ;-)

Blond undercoat hairs are used to calibrate test equipment. --They are the noseeums in the forest of cunt hairs at the bureau of standards.

My 440 is measured in inches.. My new stuff is metric I can deal with it... CID preferred!

Auto Transport Service
Back