• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top 3 Greatest Guitarist Ever

In the 70s there was a lot of respect for Clapton, Page and Hendrix. Lots of newer talent has come out since then. All good ones have been mentioned.

BB King said Stevie Ray Vaughn was a Black man stuck in a White man's body. Watch Stevie break a string and keep playing in this clip. Can you hear the difference?

Of those I've seen perform live:

Stevie Ray Vaughn
Jimmy Page
Alex Lifeson

Honourable mention:
Ritchie Blackmore
Joe Perry
Carlos Santana

EDIT!
I can't believe I forgot Mike Campbell he's one of my favorites.
This age thing is killing me.
EDIT!

In the 70s there was a lot of respect for Clapton, Page and Hendrix. Lots of newer talent has come out since then. All good ones have been mentioned.

BB King said Stevie Ray Vaughn was a Black man stuck in a White man's body. Watch Stevie break a string and keep playing in this clip. Can you hear the difference?

I saw Stevie Ray Vaughn at an outdoor show in 1986.
He did a cover of "Little Wing" which was one of the most incredible live guitar performances I've ever witnessed.
The opening act was the Fabulous Thunderbirds of which his brother Jimmy was the guitarist.
They played a double neck with a 12 string and a 6 string during an encore with one sitting behind the other each playing a neck.
Then at one point they switched necks.
That was pretty cool.

Last edited:
Of those I've seen perform live:

Stevie Ray Vaughn
Jimmy Page
Alex Lifeson

Honourable mention:
Ritchie Blackmore
Joe Perry
Carlos Santana

EDIT!
Yep I gotta give a 2 thumbs up for Carlos Santana :thumbsup:

^ playing the guitar in your lap does have some reach advantages that are impossible to play conventionally. He definately had a great sound! I'm with srv/van halen for best in there genre.
David Gilmore has to be near the top!He certainly came out with sounds which were likely a first for our ears when released!

not a top 3 but jeff healey was pretty good.
I only included guitarists that I'd seen live.
Jeff Healey was a really good singer as well.
But for those of you that haven't heard all of Jeff Healey's work here's a fabulous cover:

Last edited:
Very hard to define "best ever". For me it's the ability to compose and play these pieces.
Hundreds of people nowadays with unbelievable technical prowess - just look at YouTube with all these players at home doing covers. They are as good as the original artists in terms of their speed and dexterity...but they are merely copying.
Case in point - my 16 year old son. Great player, has surpassed my skills in only 2 years. Follows the tab from his computer and can really copy-play well
I was just watching JJ Cale playing After Midnight at the Crossroads Guitar Festival with Clapton. He never plays many notes, but man, the sound he gets. When Clapton takes over you see he's technically "better" but I prefer JJ Cale's mellow tones.

Ry Cooder too, it's not about speed or anything fancy, it's all about the sound.

Last edited:
Here's some real talent that few have probably ever heard of. I just love his Ennio Morricone stuff but this other video is great too. Obviously he didn't compose these but he has arranged them.

Here's some real talent that few have probably ever heard of. I just love his Ennio Morricone stuff but this other video is great too. Obviously he didn't compose these but he has arranged them.

Like this one too:

Depends on what is meant by "greatest". Does that mean "the ones whose music I like the best?" Does it mean "the ones who received the most fame and publicity?" Does it mean "the ones who are the most innovative and influential on other musicians?"

Personally, I put the top 3 like this:
1. Jimi Hendrix (innovation and influence)
2. Rory Gallagher (criminally underrated but basically EVH before there was EVH)
3. Tony Iommi (personal favorite, influential, innovative, and just heavy as can be)

Of course, there are many others (including EVH, Johnny Winter, Albert King, Blackmore, Clapton, Steve Vai (I would put him in the top 3 if I could squeeze 4 into the list), and others.

Auto Transport Service
Back