• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top Speed run

It's illegal, but we have a flat 6 mile 4 lane highway not a mile from me. I take the coronet and drive east to check it out and run back like i stole it. My 5.7 is around 425 hp with 323's and a 5 speed automatic trans. 17 hundred rpms at 70. I shut it down at 140. I know it will do 160, but I don't have the balls to do more on the street. I can't remember, I have a friend who does that standing mile, I think that's what they call it. I can't remember where it is. He has a challenger R/T, nothing like yours. That thing you have is a rocket. Congrats on your new space shuttle....LOL

My car visited there 67 or 68.
Bvill.PNG

Thing about going to the salt.... It's SALT... If you don't want your car to rust you'll be taking allot of the car apart to clean it throughly... I know a guy who ran there every year for 30+ years & every year his car would get taken apart, one year he didn't remove the headlights... The next year he had a rust hole behind the headlight....

On one of the long straight-a-ways I was clocked at 154.6 mph with my 70 Road Runner 440+6 during the Bonneville 100 high speed road rally back in June of 2002. It looks like the Silver State Classic Challenge people still hold these type high speed open road rallies in Nevada each spring and fall. You can enter any car and choose the speed class you want to run in.
Plenty of room to 'open her up' on the long Nevada straight-a-ways! :thumbsup:

Check them out Silver State Classic Challenge Inc.

Pro Photo Title Pg.JPG

Hey, Don. I started ORR in 2003 and recall talking to you at some point way back then. I sure do miss the varied Bonneville, Pony, and Gambler roads. Hope you are well!

165-ish in the 135 class. If I recall, highest radar verified was 161 or 162. Though top speed is fun, I really enjoy just cruising at 140 for 10 minutes straight.

0827-095232.JPG

My friend has gone over 200 up at the Air force base in Loring Maine.

I did an airport event in Yuma Az I think it was with my Z06 corvette. maybe 7-8 years ago. I hit 170 and that was that. I have not seen that event again since then.

This event is along the same idea as the silver state challenge. They also have a standing start1/2 mile go as fast as you can. Western Nebraska. Annual event....in the middle of no where in 2nd week of August.

Schedule | Sandhills Open Road Challenge

Screenshot_20220824-165342_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220824-172122_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220824-171759_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220824-171937_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220824-172044_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:
02 vette on a 1/2 Mile run at the Arnold,NE event.

Last edited:
Hey, Don. I started ORR in 2003 and recall talking to you at some point way back then. I sure do miss the varied Bonneville, Pony, and Gambler roads. Hope you are well!

165-ish in the 135 class. If I recall, highest radar verified was 161 or 162. Though top speed is fun, I really enjoy just cruising at 140 for 10 minutes straight.

View attachment 1332806
Hi #41, I was the PR Director for MKM racing for one season back in 03 I think it was. I ran my modified GTP that year in the Bonneville 100 event. That's probably where we crossed paths. So much fun running high speeds for longer distances. Did you ever encounter 'speed blindness' ?

Better to do it somewhere legal. A guy made a You Tube video of himself driving 198 MPH in his Hellcat Challenger,he was arrested and lost his license because when he started off,they could tell by his surroundings what public road he was driving on.

kinda why I like sledding,can run all day long 125-130mph and if you get caught speeding it's just a set fine ticket! so if your gonna be 10 over might as well make it worth while!boating is the same but costs a lot of money to run around at 130mph!
I've heard a veyron can kill a set of tires in 15mins. wot! runs out of gas in 8 mins. good thing probably!
I'd be a little leary running around trying to hit 200 in a mopar!

kinda why I like sledding,can run all day long 125-130mph and if you get caught speeding it's just a set fine ticket! so if your gonna be 10 over might as well make it worth while!boating is the same but costs a lot of money to run around at 130mph!
I've heard a veyron can kill a set of tires in 15mins. wot! runs out of gas in 8 mins. good thing probably!
I'd be a little leary running around trying to hit 200 in a mopar!
If Buddy Baker can do it on bias ply tires so can you!

Hi #41, I was the PR Director for MKM racing for one season back in 03 I think it was. I ran my modified GTP that year in the Bonneville 100 event. That's probably where we crossed paths. So much fun running high speeds for longer distances. Did you ever encounter 'speed blindness' ?

Ah, yes. I recall now.

Speed blindness? You do get used to going fast. SSCC is a rough return trip. 90 miles of travelling at 140-145 mph south on 318 and then you have to drive about 140 miles at a mere 80mph Ash Springs to Ely back north. You feel like you could walk faster!

Ah, yes. I recall now.

Speed blindness? You do get used to going fast. SSCC is a rough return trip. 90 miles of travelling at 140-145 mph south on 318 and then you have to drive about 140 miles at a mere 80mph Ash Springs to Ely back north. You feel like you could walk faster!
I do SSCC, NORC, and BBORR. We ran the 150 class in May and were holding 164 on the GPS when the brakes decided to misbehave. We brought it down and pulled off. We're trying again in 3 weeks. Motor is about to go back in after swapping blocks due to a split in the #5 hole. We've won the 125 class and taken two 2nds in the 130. Stock late model car won't be allowed to do much more than the 110 classes without 5 point belts, and no more than the 125 class without a rollbar. Corvettes and other cars with a factory "halo" bars built in can go 155 class without a cage. Beyond that it starts getting invasive with the safety mods.

Fully agree about getting numb to the speed. I felt like I could get out and walk at 70mph when approaching the shutdown area. Very tough to behave on the deserted roads leaving there.

IMG_0026.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back