• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top Speed run

Imperial One

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:57 AM
Reaction score
While I am still looking for the perfect B body I nevertheless have had some fun in car land this year.

In March I took possession of a new C8 Corvette. That wasn't my thing so I traded it for a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Widebody. It is a wickedly fast car, but ....

Yesterday I bought a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye. Plum Crazy with some mods that the seller figures brings the HP up to around 840 (29 HP from the fancy exhaust and the rest from a "tune"). Doesn't really matter what the total is.

I plan to sell the F8 Widebody Challenger (only 3,500 miles on it - looks like new) and keep the Plum Crazy Redeye.

So my question is this: is there anywhere a guy can go to legally do a top speed run, one which doesn't require a roll bar, a fire suppression system etc. etc. Yes I understand the danger, but it's a risk I am willing to take and pay for.

I am expecting the answer to be "no" because what land owner would want to take on that liability. Even with the signing of waivers anyone can sue anyone else for anything any time (a pretty sad comment about our society).

I've read about the Space Shuttle runway in Florida but it looks like it is only available for commercial testing.

Any suggestions?

I think in Germany on the Autobahn The German government recommends a maximum speed of 130 kph / 80 mph per hour on autobahns, but lets drivers go as fast as they want in some areas (without any speed limits).

Come pick me up in Central WI

I know some county roads we can rip where I live

Only things we have to bee concerned with

Cows
Deer
Turkeys
Fox
Black Bear

And Pot Holes

But other then that

Let me know when your on the way
I can’t wait

Peace

I think in Germany on the Autobahn The German government recommends a maximum speed of 130 kph / 80 mph per hour on autobahns, but lets drivers go as fast as they want in some areas (without any speed limits).

Thanks. That's a good suggestion. I hope to get the accomplished in North America, but if I can't that's an option.

My new car is a bona fide 200 mph car. That's a bucket list item for me (driving a car 200 mph - hope the achieving and kicking the bucket don't coincide).

Come pick me up in Central WI

I know some county roads we can rip where I live

Only things we have to bee concerned with

Cows
Deer
Turkeys
Fox
Black Bear

And Pot Holes

But other then that

Let me know when your on the way
I can’t wait

Peace

We had roads like that around here (less the black bears). I tried out my current Hellcat on one (no one on road, no farms, mostly deserted, but straight flat and paved - hit 186 mph). Just prefer to try this "legal like" this time.

Lets see some pics of the baby :steering:

The "old one":

Hellcat Redeye.jpg

The new one:

Photo 1.jpg

180+ in link below and meets your North America requirement:

https://sscc.us/

watermelon

Thanks for this. I had planned to take the Corvette to the SSCC this year but the border is still closed to me. In any event the drive to Vegas would have killed me. The seats in the Corvette and my back did not get along at all. The Hellcat seats suit me perfectly.

You can get away with 110 mph in the SSCC with not a lot of safety equipment. After that you start talking cages etc.

I know of nothing in Canada. There are scheduled events for 1/2 mile and mile. Texas mile has the U.S. Mile scheduled in a couple months. I dont know what safety stuff they require.

I know of nothing in Canada. There are scheduled events for 1/2 mile and mile. Texas mile has the U.S. Mile scheduled in a couple months. I dont know what safety stuff they require.

I remember them having the Maxton Mile. It was 1.9 miles long. I am not sure that's long enough to get up to speed. Good suggestion though. At 200 mph you cover just under 300 feet every second!

I appreciate all the suggestions. Keep them coming. The Bonneville Salt Flats look promising. I am sure there is someone out there in "Car Land" who has done Bonneville on their own.

You could also try the ECTA, east coast timing assoc. They run the arkansas mile. Last i heard, street classes up to 185 mph, no rollbar.

I remember them having the Maxton Mile. It was 1.9 miles long. I am not sure that's long enough to get up to speed. Good suggestion though. At 200 mph you cover just under 300 feet every second!

I appreciate all the suggestions. Keep them coming. The Bonneville Salt Flats look promising. I am sure there is someone out there in "Car Land" who has done Bonneville on their own.

I drove over to the flats in the Charger when I was in Wendover. Surprisingly, you can just drive out to the end of the road, onto the salt, and out to the track area. There was nobody else there. As far as what is intelligent or legal to do there when you are all alone, I think it would be better for all if there was no written record of such conversation.

SaltWindshield2 copy.JPG

You might want to do some calculations/research on how much road you'll need. The issue is the rate of acceleration as you go from say 180 to 200mph. Most cars that can just top 200 take ages in that last increment (mostly due to aerodynamics), and all those seconds at 181, 182...197, 198,199, 200 add up to a lot of road. You might hit 190 in say 2 miles but need another 3 miles to hit 200. Each car will be different.
I admire what you're doing though, sounds like a blast.

Man Up!! Cannonball!!!!! You'll never beat the current record... But you can try...

Auto Transport Service
Back