• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torn CV Boot on Dakota

Dibbons

Local time
5:13 AM
Reaction score
Vehicle is a '96 4X4 five-speed with 3.9L V-6: There is always one bad apple when it comes to constant velocity rubber boots, one finds three out of the four doing just fine, but one always has to split wide open. I don't feel like changing out the shaft right now, and all reviews swear up and down the split boots (which I assume are glued together) don't last.

I do hear a slight ticking noise, but not sure if it's speedometer related, a dry CV joint, or something else. These things can go on almost forever and not cause a problem. Not a safety issue yet. Case closed.

Last edited:
I had 2 boots on mine that ripped. 80.00 for a new axle makes changing a boot ,which is a pain in the ***, pretty obsolete.
When a CVJ goes bad is will make a bunch of noise when turning.

Just be careful when buying the shafts , I’ve had some Chinese ones that were very poorly made and didn’t last long on my sons stratus. Most times Il go for a rebuilt before I buy a new China part..

Its probably cheaper to replace the entire shaft than one joint. The shaft has to come out anyway.

The time it takes to replace the boot and the cost of the boot you might as well buy a new axle. They're between $40 - $50. Some new boots go for $30 - $40 and may not hold up.

When CV axles were more expensive, replacing a boot was feasible. Now things have changed. Even the split boots, (to replace the boot without removing the axle) are around $40

I just change the shaft out. Saves you a lot of time and effort. And by the time you figure out a boot is ripped it's usually after the grease is all slung out and dirt has gotten in.

Auto Transport Service
Back