• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torque control drive?

miller

Local time
2:58 AM
Reaction score
What's the story on those things? Good, bad, not worth a flip?

Just curious, if it would be worth trying. Have one laying around, guessing one of the 64 model's, clutch feels in good shape. Only thing, since I've measured things out, I'd only have 1/2" clearance from the radiator. Probably too close.

Thanks for any words of wisdom!

Miller,
Not exactly sure what you are referring to? I would assume you are referring to a torque drive fan clutch assembly similar to Mopar # 2806070, used on the Hemi and six barrel engine. The alternate would be a temperature controlled fan clutch. Its similar in appearance to the torque drive except it has a temperature sensing element in the face that looks at radiator exiting air temp to control the clutch's dis-engagement point. The cooler the air temp, the sooner the clutch releases. To work the best, couple with a 7 blade fan and a shroud. The correct installed dimension would position the fan half way in the shroud. There are several different clutch assemblies with different shaft lengths. Several people have successfully used HAYDEN units, you decide what is best for you.
Bob Renton

Last edited:
Not exactly sure what you are referring to?
Thanks for the reply!
Probably should have asked, do they work, and how well?

Yes, it is a torque control drive. Fan is 7 blade, 18". Because of it's age, no part #s. I got it, with a truck load of various 64 parts, a dozen years ago. So, guessing it's 64ish.

Figured one of you old hands would be able to speak, on how well it aides cooling.
I'll do a little more research. Never used one before, or if I'll try it now.

Thanks!

I just had to ‘google’ the difference; I’d try that clutch. Engine speed below 2500 it’s full on, then above that rpm it kinda slips along at 2500 but no more. Might take a little longer to warm up engine? Always knew they were put on some cars, but never saw/had one. Yours is free why not?

I'd like to try one, but don't think there's enough clearance because of the big aluminum radiator. Right now, have flexfan-no shroud. Never gets over 180.
IMG_0617.JPG

Out of curiosity, just how much clearance from the water pump hub to the surface of the radiator exists ?
Flex blade fans, either fiberglass or aluminum construction have a reputation for failure at the least opportune time. You may want to reconsider you position. Hayden makes some good alternatives to a flex blade fan. Just my opinion of course.
Bob Renton

Auto Transport Service
Back