• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torque Converter Seated?

Do you have an old one to put it beside?
The 66 and down have a different spline.
What year is the Trans?
Count the splines on the input shaft.
Right, I counted 24 splines, so I figure it's the newer version of the 727?

If the convertor slid on as far as it has, it's got the correct splines. Sometimes they are just difficult to get down on the pump lugs.

As I mentioned, some aftermarket convertors contact the front pump. Here is one of mine that required the pump to be removed and cut on a lathe. Note the wear ring witness rub mark I created by placing the convertor in the trans with it set on end and applying hand pressure while rotating the convertor. After machining the pump it went in about 3/4" further and worked fine.
SAM_2639.JPG
SAM_2640.JPG

My first B&M 10" Street/Strip convertor slid in "all the way" however it did contact the pump housing as the pics show. I had to grind a bit off the pump housing for clearance. But that doesn't seem to be the issue the OP is having.

And make yourself some sort of bracket to hold it in place until you get it close to bolting the trans up. They like to fall right back out if you're not careful.
View attachment 1347340
I like to use one of the inspection cover bolt holes on the bottom.
That way you can wait until everything is bolted up because those holes don't get used until later and then remove your bracket or 3/8" box wrench which works pretty nicely.

Last edited:
Does someone have a converter, that they know will fit a 727, that they would be kind enough to measure the pump lug slots for me? I measured the slots on my new converter and they measure .400" (both of them).

Well, you guys were right. After a lot of lining things up and jiggling, twisting, even the planets finally lined up as well and the converter dropped right in! Checked the measurements between the mount pads to the bell housing compared to the flexplate to the back of the block, I will have 1/8" gap when the trans is mounted to the block. Thanks for all the advise.
:thumbsup:

1/8 to 3/16 is real good. Over the years, with at least a hundred convertor installs, I've had several that took all the patience I could muster. One convertor that I fought for a long time, popped in quickly the next time. Who knows.

I've never had a problem installing a Converter in a 727 or 904.I mean I worked for RPM in the 1980's and raced Mopars. I have very little Drama! My problem was tearing down an engine to install rings every so often and I only had two days between Races! It was a hard with only the wife helping! We are still building Mopars!

Last edited:
I've never had a problem installing a Converter in a 727 or 904.I mean I worked for RPM in the 1980's and raced Mopars. I have very little Drama! My problem was tearing down an engine to install rings every so often and I only had two days between Races! It was a hard with only the wife helping!

Screenshot_20220906-225655.png

_20201114_225217.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back