• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torque strap necessary with Poly Locs?

hunt2elk

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:20 PM
Reaction score
Do you guys think there a need to use a torque strap if I already have the Schuemacher poly loc engine mounts? The motor will have around 500 hp.

I run a single Mity Mount, (similar to the poly locks) on the drivers side (passenger standard rubber), without a strap Joel. No issues.

If you guys don't mind a related question: Will a torque strap (like the one Schumacher sells) transmit MORE shake into the car from a low-idling lumpy-cam motor, or wi it keep the motor from shaking back and forth and transmitting that shake into the car?

In other words, will the car be smoother sitting at a stop light with the strap or less smooth? And is that harmful for the motor or less harmful? I know from a pure engineering standpoint, big engines are always soft-mounted to ALLOW them to convert that shake into harmless compression and release of the mount rather than having it reverb through the engine. The mount takes the brunt of the vibration and you simply replace it as it wears.

The more I think about it, it seems the torque strap is likely to be harder on the car and the motor, but easier on the mount - and faster in a race...

If you guys don't mind a related question: Will a torque strap (like the one Schumacher sells) transmit MORE shake into the car from a low-idling lumpy-cam motor, or wi it keep the motor from shaking back and forth and transmitting that shake into the car?

In other words, will the car be smoother sitting at a stop light with the strap or less smooth? And is that harmful for the motor or less harmful? I know from a pure engineering standpoint, big engines are always soft-mounted to ALLOW them to convert that shake into harmless compression and release of the mount rather than having it reverb through the engine. The mount takes the brunt of the vibration and you simply replace it as it wears.

The more I think about it, it seems the torque strap is likely to be harder on the car and the motor, but easier on the mount - and faster in a race...

It will transfer more engine shake because you're strapping the engine directly to the K-Frame.. It would be the equivalent of a solid mount, because there isn't any give & dampening, like in a poly/rubber mount. It will be less smooth, and one has to wonder what the addition of direct right hand torque does to the chassis. I don't know if it would be harder on the engine. I've seen a couple instances where a torque strap busted a mount ear off the block, but I think that's pretty rare. Flip side is that it's nice not having the engine try to jump out of the engine bay because of busted mount's. Myself I'm sold on the Mity mounts, but had a couple cars in the past with a chain helping hold all the mity mopower from chewing up mounts.

Well it never hurts to have back up. I use a solid steel motor mount on the drivers side since I race sometimes but I still have the chain on it since I had it on before the solid mount. It cant hurt any and if you plan to race the car then its nice backup. If your not going to race it and put sticky tires on it then you really dont need the backup. You can see the small chain I have as backup on the drivers side front of the eng. Ron

493_zpsf1402364.jpg

One thought I've been aware of is a solid mount on the drivers side will tent to distort the block on very high HP engines. Probably why you typically see SS cars back in the day with a motor plate off the water pump. For a street car the poly lock mounts should be OK, but as said, never hurts to have a back up if you will see track duty. No track duty? Then don't worry about it.

I'll never have slicks on the car, so I won't worry about adding a strap. Thanks for the input guys.

Auto Transport Service
Back