• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torque to lower control arm pivot nut

Coronet 14

Local time
6:32 AM
Reaction score
The book says tighten nut on pivot arm with weight on vehicle. If I put the shock and torsion bar in and jack up the control arm. To put the weight on it will that work? Because the car suspension will not be entirely assembled. The right side is partially taken apart. Thanks

The only things taken apart on other side is tie rod and brake caliper. Once I get left side together I will put the tires on and lower car to ground. Then I'll torque the stuff. Then put it back up on the jack stands.

The suggestion to tighten the nut when the suspension is loaded is an important one. I made the mistake of tightening mine at full droop when I rebuilt the suspension of my Charger in 2003. This Spring I had to replace the bushings because of this stupid mistake. 8000 miles and the rubber was shedding from both cases.
I would think that as long as the pivot shaft is fully seated and the T-bars and clips are in place, you should wait until the car sits at its final ride height to tighten the nuts. My experience is that the stock bushings usually lasted 75,000 miles before coming apart. Stiffer torsion bars and firmer shocks would probably extend that number since they would limit the movement of the suspension.

Auto Transport Service
Back