• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torsion Bar End Has Rusted Before Installation

Dibbons

Local time
10:04 AM
Reaction score
Nothing but delays in installing the 1.03" torsion bars. Now taking them out of the box (they have been stored for quite some time now) one hex end is good and rusty and pitted (first foto). Dumping the end in some Evaporust overnight for now. One end did not rust yet (second foto).

DSC05915.JPG DSC05916.JPG

bad coating from the factory? Look at the problems with TTI headers rusting.

PST leaves the ends bare metal for some reason. I found recently the bottom of my spanking new (Lunati) hydraulic lifters rusted also in the box.

My Firm Feel bars were powder coated from end to end. Had to take it off to install as the coating was too thick to go in, but they were protected at least.

Are you thinking the rust is a problem? Shouldn't be if it's cleaned off. They should be coated with chassis grease before installing which will protect them unless the car is going to be driven like a daily driver up in the rust belt.

We prefer never seize up here in the rust belt.

I'm hoping it's not a problem, sent an email asking that to PST and waiting for a response.

Edit:

PST answer to inquiry
"There won't be any problem with rust on the ends. It would only be a problem if you had any cracks or splits running the length of the bars."

Last edited:
It's not a problem, just hit it with a wire wheel or good old sand paper. Paint/Lube and install, it will be fine.

One bar has actually pitted already, When I see more than surface rust, that's when I become alarmed.

Please go back to post #9 to see PST response.

Last edited:
Just clean them up and put them in the car. If you buy parts and don't use them right away then it is a good idea to either store them in a heated area or to wrap them up so they don't rust. No sense in buying good parts and then letting them rust......

My buddy owns a machine shop and he has at least one customer a year bring a block back in that was stored out in a garage with no protection. So guys spend a bunch of money to get blocks machined then they let them sit in a garage until they rust. He has had several blocks rust up so bad that the owner needed to start over with a new block.

PST leaves the ends bare metal for some reason. I found recently the bottom of my spanking new (Lunati) hydraulic lifters rusted also in the box.

We do not powder coat the ends of the bar as it will cause fitment issue as the powder would be to thick. These are tight tolerance to begin with. As in the post above other companies powder coat the whole bar which in the end results in having to sand off for proper fittment. This had been a complaint by customer's at one time. So that is why we taped the ends off during powder coating for a easier installation and cleaner look.

Thanks
James

Auto Transport Service
Back