• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torsion bar install

Encswsm

Local time
5:44 PM
Reaction score
Ok I know this subject has been beaten half to death but I have a question. All of the posts I have read say to remove the limiting bump stop and shock absorber prior to Stabbing the torsion bar into the socket but the Shop Manual says to attach the shock first. which way is right?

You remove the shock and upper bump stop to allow the lower control arm to drop as far as possible in order to take any tension off of the torsion bar for ease of removal and installation. The torsion bar adjuster needs to be backed off all the way also. After installation of the torsion bar you can reinstall the shock. The vehicle will more than likely have to be on the ground with the full weight of the vehicle on the suspension in order to remove/install the upper bump stop.
20230919_201220.jpg

20230925_175559.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks that what I thought. I will go forth and do it that way!

You can just put a jack under the lower control arm to move the upper arm away from the bump stop.

Auto Transport Service
Back