• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torsion bar issue- any advice?

Of the dozen or so front suspensions we have built, getting the torsion bars back in were one of the hardest parts. We have always had to pull down hard on the lower control arm to get them to start in the cross member. Once we got them to start into the cross member, we have had to drive them in from there. If they slide in or out easily, IMO something is wrong.
At least I’m not the only one!

Do not overlook the rear springs. A over rated or under rated rear spring will cause a difference in the front.

Brand new bushing. I’m interested to know why you think that could cause the issue. Would play in that bushing prevent tension in the torsion bar? I’m open to a discussion about anything as I’ve tried to unravel this issue a bunch of ways in my head.
Basically yes it will require a lot more turns in on the adjusting bolt to get the same torsion. I rebuilt the front of my Charger and one sides bushing was more shot than the other and had significantly less tension on the bar than the better side. Meaning it wasn't holding the car up as much though the car looked level left to right.

I dunno what to say since you say they're new but I'd focus my attention in that area still.

Do not overlook the rear springs. A over rated or under rated rear spring will cause a difference in the front.
Interesting you mention this. I was thinking maybe it had something to do with that but didn’t know how it would directly be involved. I have the superstock springs which have 2 extra half leafs on the right side I believe. Couple of years old. That’s the same side that is sagging more.

Interesting you mention this. I was thinking maybe it had something to do with that but didn’t know how it would directly be involved.
Chop the right rear leg off a table.
Easy analogy

Are your adjuster screws the same height? Because some of the adjuster screws tend to be longer on one side than the other

when I took them off this last time to paint the control arm, I noticed that one bolt was longer than the other

Are your adjuster screws the same height? Because some of the adjuster screws tend to be longer on one side than the other

when I took them off this last time to paint the control arm, I noticed that one bolt was longer than the other
Yes they are the same height. I’m still screwing around with this. I think I need a big wrench and some leverage to get the torsion bar lined up properly . Very frustrated at this point.

Yes they are the same height. I’m still screwing around with this. I think I need a big wrench and some leverage to get the torsion bar lined up properly . Very frustrated at this point.
You shouldn't. If you do something is very wrong. They should slide right in with just some wiggling of the lower control arm if necessary.

You shouldn't. If you do something is very wrong. They should slide right in with just some wiggling of the lower control arm if necessary.
I’ve heard complete mixed reviews on this. Some say they slide right in. Others say sometimes they are pure evil to install. I’m going to take it apart again. No idea what could be wrong. Literally everything is new or rebuilt in the suspension.

I’ve heard complete mixed reviews on this. Some say they slide right in. Others say sometimes they are pure evil to install. I’m going to take it apart again. No idea what could be wrong. Literally everything is new or rebuilt in the suspension.
The key is the orientation of the tab which the adjuster screw pushes upwards against.
When you back off the screw make sure the tab with the counter sink hole rotates downward.
If it doesn't then with the torsion bar removed pry it down it should never go below the lowest surface of the stamped metal arms. Maybe an 1" above there when you insert the torsion bar.
I've never had to fight inserting the bars.

I’ll have a look but the car is pretty solid. Just had all the body work done and the crossmember wasn’t a concern when down to bare metal . I’ll watch the back and have someone else crank the bolt just to be sure.
Make sure you put grease on the adjuster bolts...after following the advice from the other guys.

In my experience, both bolts end up sitting at different 'heights'.....there is no such thing as them being even and having the suspension sitting correctly.

Make sure you put grease on the adjuster bolts...after following the advice from the other guys.

In my experience, both bolts end up sitting at different 'heights'.....there is no such thing as them being even and having the suspension sitting correctly.
They're pretty close on my cars.

This is good to know. I always thought they had to be exactly even

It will depend on the tolerances in the frame and the suspension components, maybe a bit of twist from lots of hard launches or a very heavy driver...
Mine are not exactly even, not miles out either but definitely slightly different.

It will depend on the tolerances in the frame and the suspension components, maybe a bit of twist from lots of hard launches or a very heavy driver...
Mine are not exactly even, not miles out either but definitely slightly different.
Good to know....my point was that the OP should not be overly concerned that the bolts end up at different appearing heights. :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back