• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

torsion bar relocate...

casey henson

Local time
3:35 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone know If there is such a thing or if anyone sells torsion bar sockets. The part that is build into the frame and welded in that the torsion bar goes in. I have a 77 with isolated mounts and am thinking about relocating the mounts to the place where they would normally be if it didn't have the separate crossmember. Like the older cars have just forward of my current mount. If I could make it work I think you would be able to used standard length B body torsion bars.

torsion bar mount.jpg

Last edited:
Yes it's a normal upgrade.
Why could you not use the current sockets you have?

Yes it's a normal upgrade.
Why could you not use the current sockets you have?
I could, just didn't want to destroy my existing crossmember until I was sure it would work.

I haven't seen anyone that did this but it does seem like a feasible change. You'd just need a 1962-72 torsion bar crossmember cut out from a wreck....use the hex sockets and weld them into the forward crossmember at the 62-72 position. 41 inches is the torsion bar length, with a tape measure and some planning, this can work.

I haven't seen anyone that did this but it does seem like a feasible change. You'd just need a 1962-72 torsion bar crossmember cut out from a wreck....use the hex sockets and weld them into the forward crossmember at the 62-72 position. 41 inches is the torsion bar length, with a tape measure and some planning, this can work.
I feel pretty sure the other cross member you see that the bar is going through now is in the correct position. like you said just a matter of welding them in the perfect spot. I thought I might plate them on both sides also with some 3/16 plate.

would love it someone sold just the socket. I see you can get new cross members pretty easy.

395-1466-side.jpg395-1466_800.jpg

Are you wanting to move the crossmember so you will have room for a 4-speed conversion? Just curious? Because I was able to do so on my 78 Magnum without moving it.

Are you wanting to move the crossmember so you will have room for a 4-speed conversion? Just curious? Because I was able to do so on my 78 Magnum without moving it.
no, just removing the isolated cross member in favor of the old style that is part of the unibody floor structure. This would enable the use of standard length torsion bars.

Might contact the suppliers/manufacturers that make the replacement cross members and see if you can get them to help you get the parts....

Might contact the suppliers/manufacturers that make the replacement cross members and see if you can get them to help you get the parts....

I bet someone would be willing to rough cut a couple off a rusty crossmember for a small fee

OP should send me a PM. I do have a few bits and pieces out back.....

Auto Transport Service
Back