• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torsion bars

qkcuda

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:37 PM
Reaction score
I have been checking and stock torsion bars for a 383 appear to be .88 inch, while bars for a 440/426 are .92. Did they put heavier bars in cars with factory A/C?

I don’t know the answer. Why are you asking?

Sorry these come up so small.

TB 1.jpg
TB 2.jpg

It looks like .92s were the largest B body bars. I see no distinction for A/C for any B body model.
Until they got to the 1973-74 B's. Then they jumped up to .92, .94, .96, and .98.

I asked because my 318 A body with A/C got the same bars as the 340's did. It's like they bumped up to the next size due to the extra weight.

I asked because my 318 A body with A/C got the same bars as the 340's did. It's like they bumped up to the next size due to the extra weight.
Gotcha. I just replaced my .88’s on a 440 69 Charger w 1.03” bars. Was going to offer my experience if you needed it w the 1.03” ones.

Gotcha. I just replaced my .88’s on a 440 69 Charger w 1.03” bars. Was going to offer my experience if you needed it w the 1.03” ones.
How do you like the 1.03s?

I just bought new stiffer shocks. I am going to see how that feels before I decide to change out the rear springs or torsion bars. The car sits nice and level now, it was just too floaty a ride for me.

I just bought new stiffer shocks. I am going to see how that feels before I decide to change out the rear springs or torsion bars. The car sits nice and level now, it was just too floaty a ride for me.
That’s great! Mine were wrong ones for the 440 and they were tired. I couldn’t get the right height, that’s really why I changed them. Glad yours is all set now. Have a great weekend.

That’s great! Mine were wrong ones for the 440 and they were tired. I couldn’t get the right height, that’s really why I changed them. Glad yours is all set now. Have a great weekend.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but which bushings did you install with your 1.03 bars? Rubber or Poly? Thanks

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but which bushings did you install with your 1.03 bars? Rubber or Poly? Thanks

hello. I used the poly boots.

They are awesome! I thought it would be very stiff, but the ride is actually perfect! I got them from PST in NJ. Easy install.
That "rattle your fillings" myth has been told as many times as the "thin wall 440" lie.
I have 1.15" TBs in my car and it rides fine.

Auto Transport Service
Back