• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torsion crossmember

Rusty 72

Local time
2:49 PM
Reaction score
Hi. So my 72 needs a new torsion bar crossmember. The drivers side is failing.
If I remove the trans and everything else. How much could I expect a shop to charge to replace it? I will be providing the new crossmember.
Also are there any reputable places in MN? I’d be willing to pay somebody who has the ability at there home garage too. Thanks!!

here is the bad news..
lots of money..
it is labor intensive , takes a bunch of time and
some things depend on the skills of the person doing the work.
one problem is
the main floor is in the way.
if the person doing it has some mad skills (very hard to find)
you can do it without a complete floor removal.
I would say most people would remove the whole floor
and if they are not good at removal (plus it takes much longer/more skill to remove and save)
you will be buying a new floor also.
also you might as well gut the whole inside
as weld splatter will ruin stuff like glass and such.
good luck

So there’s only bad news about a rotten torsion crossmember? you describe a situation where it appears it’s not even worth it due to the extensive cost and amount of work involved? Surely somebody has had this replaced on this forum? They sell them so it must be possible? It’s not feasible to drill out the spot welds from the interior without removing the floor?

Its feasible to save the floor but it's not easy to do.
You will be crawling under and over the car a lot.
You have to drill out the x member
And separate it from the floor
And drill the sides of the floor near the x member and separate it from the rocker
Then pry up the sides of the floor up enough
To be able to reach welds that are under the floor sides on the inner rockers.
Most people will just chop the floor out and replace it.
Not impossible but a first timer is going to struggle
As for paying someone to do it won't be cheap
As if it is worth it is up to you.
just know going in cheap and easy it will not be.
I would do it myself but that is me.

I've never heard of anyone replacing the torsion bar cross member without the floor being out ?
2 cents....
and chances are if the current Torsion Bar X member is failing from rust ? you may find other rust problems over by the rockers that WILL need the floor out to address properly ?
Maybe it's time to find an UN-rusty Ca 1972 ? retire the rusty 72.... and change your handle ?

your rust problems are most likely much larger than you think

Last edited:
but....... if by chance your rot is isolated to the outer sections, and the "socket area" is solid...... it can be repaired

IMG_20160213_125025.jpg

IMG_20160213_134848.jpg

IMG_20160213_163517.jpg

IMG_20170416_022927.jpg

Weve replaced one and saved the floor. Other than alot of drilling cutting and some prying it wasnt rocket science. Like it's been said most of the time the floor may be rotted. Amazingly ours was a convertible and the floor was very nice. If it's only one side I'd splice it as shown above.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back