• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tourque converters..

Xp29h

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:25 AM
Reaction score
I've done a search and nothing popped up.. I've read stuff on web but like anything many opinions no real answers..

Here's the question.. Lock up or non lock up converter for the 727 and 400/512 stroker. Non a racing situation just a good street car with a really good stroker.
Cam is comp 571 lift and says should be close to 3500 stall.. Looking to get one but lockup or non?

Edit: should mention 69 charger, 4:10 gears no sure grip (yet)

Btw, built the cradle yesterday for firing up for the first time today.. Hope all goes well and hope to take video to post!

Thanks! Merry Christmas to all!

They never made a lock up big block trans. That should tell you something. Would this be an 'add-on' thing?
Anyway, I say NON.

Thanks! That's the direction I was thinking but wanted to hear opinions and thoughts. Not too knowledgeable about converters..

A few years back,early 2000's, Hot Rod had a article on Hughes converters and why their mechanical locking converter is the way to go for a street car. I can't find any more info on it even on Hughes web site.(I'm not the greatest with computers) I will tell you this I put one in a 904 from them back in '02, worked well and is still in the car as of when I sold it last year.Stock'ish stall of about 2200 rpm.That's all I remember.

Call either Lenny at Ultimate or Kenny at PTC. The will fix you up.
Doug

i don't know about the Hughes TC, but the 727 has no hydraulic circuitry to activate the lock up feature. the 4l60E (not mopar) in my 68 RR has a lockup converter, but has the computer control to activate the little piston that locks up the clutch IN the torque converter.
just my 2 cents
pt in tennessee

Not too knowledgeable about converters..

Me neither but it never stopped me from giving advice!

I built my car with the intentions of it being a quick and fast street car. I made a few poor choices along the way but I am pretty happy with my combination right now.
I will likely never drag race my car. I enjoy spirited street driving but cornering and handling is more my style. That requires a transmission that responds immediately.
For years, I ran a 3000 stall, 9 3/4" converter. I hated it. Too much slip at freeway speeds. It was great for WOT performance though. For a drag race guy, it might have been great.
There are some high stall converters that are able to respond well to light throttle input, but mine wasn't one of them. I like to go on road trips so freeway type driving is important. My 3000 stall converter would feel sloppy when I was driving at engine speeds below 3000. It felt like a boat on the water. I finally decided to go with something better and ordered an 11" high stall from Ultimate Converter Concepts. It engages not too far off idle and is very good at freeway speeds.
Some torque converter suggestions default to a higher stall rating based on OLD engine formulas. These large inch stroker engines don't need as high of stall as a 383 or a 400 inch engine with the same cam specs. I'm running a 10.07 CR 440/493 with the MP 528 solid cam and 1.6 rocker arms. I'm running about .540 of lift and a duration @ .050 of 248. It works great with the bigger, tighter converter.

Kern dog, I hear you.. I was told that I could drop as low as 3000 but might notice a little at that point. But I should really try to get that 3500 range, higher might even be better. I question that one. This is the 400 stroked to 512. Hyd. Roller 571 comp cams.

I won't be doing any freeway driving. Just really arent places I'd take the car down the freeway that I couldn't go a different way that would actually be better. I live in Maine , 1 highway, I95 north and south. Lol!

I won't be doing any freeway driving. Just really arent places I'd take the car down the freeway that I couldn't go a different way that would actually be better. I live in Maine , 1 highway, I95 north and south. Lol!

By "freeway" I basically mean any sustained driving at 50-70. The rpms there are under 3000 for me and the old converter just felt loose and sloppy unless I was on the throttle. A steady cruise of 2500 down the road, then leaning on the gas to speed up just a little meant the engine would speed up more than the car did. That sucked. Now it feels almost like a lockup type converter.

Ah gotcha. Still don't have many places around here except for interstate where we can sustain those speeds.. Gotta find a place!

I think I'm going in that 3500 range, non lockup. Give that a try and see how the 512 likes it. We'll see. Can always change later.. Thanks!

Ah gotcha. Still don't have many places around here except for interstate where we can sustain those speeds.. Gotta find a place!

I think I'm going in that 3500 range, non lockup. Give that a try and see how the 512 likes it. We'll see. Can always change later.. Thanks!

I have a stroker too, 440/498 I was told by a speedshop/engine builder that the min stall advertised on cams is typically for stock cubic inch and that you should go with a lower stall converter to take advantage of the extra torque that strokers make. My cam calls for a 3200+ stall and they suggested to get one in the 2800-3000 range. It could be completely wrong but makes sense to me... But like others have already suggested have a custom one done they are about the same price as some of the off the shelf converters.

Auto Transport Service
Back