• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Towing on an open trailer. In neutral or in park even though it is strapped down? What say ye?

The most important thing I learned from the cargo guys in the Air Force was don't let there be any (ANY) slack in the chain/strap. If the cargo (your very costly race car) shifts/bounces from a bump you get what they called a "G-Shock" load that will most likely snap whatever your using. So, whatever you use keep it tight.

In the past I always crossed straps... Then someone posted this video...

Needless to say, I don't cross my straps anymore...

When is the last time anyone broke a strap? If the strap comes off it wasn't connnected correct in the 1st place. Lastly straight straps will allow the car to shift left or right. Seen more than one car with the 1/4 panel up against the wall. I've been towing since 1990. Never had a car come loose. Straps are always crossed.
Doug

When is the last time anyone broke a strap? If the strap comes off it wasn't connnected correct in the 1st place. This —- “Lastly straight straps will allow the car to shift left or right. Seen more than one car with the 1/4 panel up against the wall.I've been towing since 1990. Never had a car come loose. Straps are always crossed.
Doug
35 years and never had it happen…

The shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line. If the straight tie-down is tight the car cannot move sideways.

look at his demonstration and tell me how this vehicle can move. He shows how cross straps can fail.

things breaks that shouldn’t, like teeth on a Dana 60 pinion.

Pat's freshly restored Bird after the trailer swiped the cement median on the way to Chicago 2 weeks back.
patsbirdcrease.jpg

The shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line. If the straight tie-down is tight the car cannot move sideways.

look at his demonstration and tell me how this vehicle can move. He shows how cross straps can fail.

things breaks that shouldn’t, like teeth on a Dana 60 pinion.
There is no torque on the load from all angles. There is no equal forces pulling forward, back and left to right like when crossed. Only forward and back allowing the load to shift right to left.
That I don't know, but it bounced good enough to go through the floor at one rear wheel as well.
That is the kind of damage I have seen multiple times from inline straps as there is no strength to them side to side, the straight line is easily curved..

I leave the car in park also. Cross straped. Have the short axle straps too that have the extra sheath material over the straps. The straps with the extra sheath really help the straps from getting cut and frayed. Learned that after removing some straps without the sheath and one was cut 1/2 way through. There is more to it than that. The car was wrecked and loaded onto the open trailer backwards so the trailer was biased backward, and while going down the highway at 70 MPH, the trailer started swaying real bad. I was lucky to get on the trailer brakes and get it under control, but seeing the cut strap, we were lucky the car stayed on the trailer.

I cover it both ways if I can. With my tracks outboard of the tires it would take something wild to make it move left or right when down tight anyhow.
talladegaorbust2019 031.JPG
talladegaorbust2019 032.JPG
1969dartswinger 019.JPG

If may I have a good tie down story, and an example of what not to do. I have a person that is unfortunately my brother, extreme narcissist, satan worshiper, real piece of ****, and even though he’s extremely book smart, he has no common sense at all.

Anyway, he had an 04 impala that he was taking to a car dealership to sell, I was watching in horror as he was tying it down with rope, through the wheels, yes with rope. I went outside and tried to reason with him. Well in his mind trucks are the only things that are heavy, cars aren’t heavy at all and it’s fine, and he told me to F off and went down the road :BangHead:

I'm sure you guys know this but the photo of the Toyota reminds me of something my Dad taught me 55years ago when lowbedding and tying down equipment. You anchor over the axle (or those great straps that capture the tires) and not to the body, it takes the suspension out of the equation. The suspension bouncing up and down will only loosen your tension if it's tied to the body and is an unsafe way to tie anything down. I also cross strap/chain anything I haul including bulldozers.

Oh, I’ve always favored cross dressing and support the safety in it.

0E989243-1620-4758-850A-FEA2E5B8295E.png

208D6805-FCE2-45AA-A65C-93514FE10003.png

4223276F-5C52-4307-8E5C-3A264466D66E.png

Ooops, wrong website. :rofl:

The S&M Handbook recommends not crossing the straps when tying down.

This is my new trailer . Same as roll back tow truck ties down , no cross strap . Strap down tight then into park or neutral . Never seems to be an issue for towies .

Tex

20221126_151738.jpg

This is my new trailer . Same as roll back tow truck ties down , no cross strap . Strap down tight then into park or neutral . Never seems to be an issue for towies .

Tex

View attachment 1382549
Made it all the way home to NYC from Detroit. Straps crossed just as I have done for years and no issues. I did ratchet up the rear straps a tiny bit on one of my many check stops just for safe measure.
I also had a huge hard rubber chuck at one of the wheels and it was chained to the trailer just in case it too would loosen up and jump off on one of the many road irregularities on the way.

Never with straps in line either, always crossed. Reason is I have seen many cars bounce over and end up riding the trailer fenders on the doors and rockers once they got to where they were going…
The problem with crossing them is that if one strap comes loose the other one could pull the car off of the trailer sideways.

Auto Transport Service
Back