• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

traction on hemi project

shag766

Local time
3:53 AM
Reaction score
probably lots has changed since my old light to light days with traction.
69 coronet hemi going in, tremec 5 speed, complete moser 60 rear assembly with 3;90 gears. hemi springs and torq bars.
this is to be a cruise machine with an attitude, not a drag machine, well the odd time, maybe. there is a track about 10 miles away.
well guys i am open for suggestons. thanx

Get a set of Street Radial Drag Tires! Add a pinion snubber and Please, No air shocks

Street tires have changed ALOT since your day. My dad always talked about a pair of Casler cheater slicks he had on his 69' GTX. Told me he use to just kill the other guys off the line with them. They had those 14" Redlines a smoking and he was gone.

traction

the tires are a given, pinion snubber coming with rear assem., but no air shocks, why???
also was there a re-enforcement plate on the floor pan for the snubber on hemi cars?

Last edited:
I prefer monroe air shocks,HD(440) keeps the rear end a bit higher and solid-adjustable from 20 to 150 psi

My 65 Coronet has a plate for the snubber and wasn't a Hemi car so not sure if it was added or all cars came with them. I am thinking that all cars had them.

My memory is bad but thought I was told by a few members that air shocks will not transfer weight correctly. Those are OLD SCHOOL. Most guys go with an adjustable shock. They can be set for street driving and then with a turn of the knob can be set for the strip.

All Mopars have a reinforcement plate on the body for the pinion snubber, but only Hemi cars have a SECOND plate welded on top of the standard one.

Air shocks of any kind are a bad idea on these cars. They take the weight off of the rear suspension springs and prevent them from doing their intended job. It puts the weight of the body on the shock and from the road bumps and hard acceleration shock through the car, it puts all of the impact on the body where the shocks mount. You see a lot of old cars like this that had run air shocks with torn metal from it. Guys used to use them to get the body up off of the wide tires they were running which compounded the problems above from more traction with the bigger tires. They are just a BAD idea. If you need to get the back end of the car higher do it the correct way and do it with the springs.

Last edited:
Sounds like a you could use a set of Cal-tracs and their split mono springs. Good street ride and great hook when you need it. Look them up, they work. Good adjustable shocks all around ( HALS ect), and some sub frame connectors. I take for granted the front end is all rebuilt. Good luck on your project.

Auto Transport Service
Back