• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trans cable has hole from headers

John Keyburn

Local time
5:47 PM
Reaction score
Looking for some help from the crowd!

I just noticed that the trans cable on my 62 Plymouth push button is leaking. Not at the connection, but about 8 in up the cable from falling on the header and the cable sheath melting .

Is this something that can be repaired?

Open to creative and Mcguyverish type fixes.

I'm wondering if I can slip on a piece or right size hose onto the small end and hose clamp each end.

Has anyone done this sort of fix, and if so what worked for you.

If you can use a piece of Marine grade heat shrink on it it has basically hot gun glue in it. Works great.

I may be naive on the subject, but I wasn't aware a cable (as in, stranded steel wire) could leak?

If you can use a piece of Marine grade heat shrink on it it has basically hot gun glue in it. Works great.

I use nuclear grade Raychem that I buy on eBay from surplus nuke plant auctions. Make sure you get the type with an orange (adhesive) inner coating.

Chuck (snook)

Never knew about it have a link to one?

I can't find an eBay link for Raychem WCSF-200 (this is the size you need, see pics. It comes up from time to time. Yu want the one with an N (adhesive) in the part number. I've attached pics of some WCSF 200 U (non-adhesive that I just heat shrunk on a dead cable I had laying around, the U stuff will work though. If anyone needs a stick, let me know. The WCSF-115 is too small a diameter, 200 is the right fit, I included a pic of the WCSF-115 N to show the sealant so everyone knows what to look for.

Chuck (snook)

20220907_082228.jpg

20220907_083518.jpg

20220907_083532.jpg

20220907_083812.jpg

20220907_083820.jpg

I used alot of Raychem on the USAF aircraft I worked on never saw that before, Thanks!

Over the years did two repairs to cables, 1st time used epoxy (at the base of the cable in my case) that worked until I had to adjust it breaking the seal. 2nd used heat shrink tubing with an overlay of heat resistant sheathing in the area of the header. When rebuilding the motor, got a new cable for around $260 and used the heat resistant sheathing over it for extra measure. Also used a wire tie off the firewall to keep the cable a bit further away from the header. Not familiar with Raychem; but that must be some fantastic stuff.

Then go to your friendly neighborhood big box store or fireplace shop and get a piece of insulation sleeve to keep it from happening again.

Yes the shift cables leak, they do it all the time.

yes the heat shrink over the cable works great, but you need to take the cable off at the shifter end to put it on, so it makes for a big job.

Summit racing sells heat wrap in various sizes. Use it around headers when you first install them, before you melt your cables.

how many race cars with aftermarket shifters have burned up the cables?

Home Depot carries the shrink tube with glue in it in their electrical section. The foil heat shield can be found at Summit. They have numerous sizes.

I made a bracket off the starter stud to hold the cable in place.

20170518_210656.jpg

20170518_210609.jpg

20170518_210619.jpg

Post in thread 'Taking Up New Residence' Taking Up New Residence

Wow, great tips all around! Thanks everyone. When I get ahold of a piece of Raychem WCSF-200 N or the right heat shrink tubing from HomeDepot I'll update with a repair picture or two. thanks again!

Auto Transport Service
Back