• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trans question for the experts

rp23g7

Local time
5:48 PM
Reaction score
I was thinking about this the other day.

My parents had bought a 64 Dodge Custom 880 brand new. 383/727/8 3/4

Its engine and trans had never been touched or overhauled. it had 188,000 miles lst time i saw it.

Its transmission though, when in neutral, would still produce torque, and the car would creep forward, it would even hold its self on a slight incline.

None of my other cars with 727's in them have ever done this. Wondering why, did it have a really low stall converter.

I'm gonna guess, just a guess the belvelle spring in the rear clutch drum might be cracked or broken thus keeping the rear clutches partially engaged.
I have opened a few early units and found that spring broken through the years the factory has updated that spring
does it feel sluggish in reverse? slight bind?

They dont actually have it anymore, sold it when i moved to Ca. in 89.

I was told by a reputable trans. guru that its because the early low/reverse drum has no drain holes machined in the drum wall to allow fluid to escape. My car (65) tries to creep for a few seconds when I shift from drive or reverse into neutral.

Auto Transport Service
Back