• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trans Shifting

67SniperHockey

Local time
12:32 AM
Reaction score
Big block 727 auto trans behind a 440. Have had this for a few years - just wondering your guys’ thoughts.

Routine - Start in Neutral - let it warm up, put into gear and it pops into gear right away. Mostly reverse to back off of lift. Once I get into street, I shift to N let it idle for a minute - then normally just start in 2nd.

Regardless if I start in 1st or 2nd - after motor is initially started it takes a while for it to shift. I go slow and can feel and hear when it will eventually shift. Can go pretty high rpm’s if I let it before it does shift. Once it does - it runs and shifts flawlessly the rest of the trip

This happens even when I arrive somewhere and it is warm - shut it off, turn it right back on and very delayed first shift - rpm’s can go pretty high like lacking pressure. Then - shifts perfect the rest of the time I drive it.

I’ve learned how to baby it anytime I start the motor (whether cold or warm) until that first shift happens.

Thoughts? Thanks guys!

Just for fun I'd make sure the kickdown didn't get out of adjustment since that's an "easy stuff first" check.
(And I'm sure it's fine, but the fluid level is correct, yes?)

Auto Transport Service
Back