• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trans swap?

Max Fishing

Local time
3:16 AM
Reaction score
Going to look at a 66 next week, other than having a 4spd it seems to be a very nice car. I definitely need a automatic and have done several of these swaps on GM cars, but not on a Mopar. The car does have a console, and other than pedals, shifter, radiator, drive shaft, cooler lines, etc, what other parts would be needed? Appreciate any advice on the swap

Going to look at a 66 next week, other than having a 4spd it seems to be a very nice car. I definitely need a automatic and have done several of these swaps on GM cars, but not on a Mopar. The car does have a console, and other than pedals, shifter, radiator, drive shaft, cooler lines, etc, what other parts would be needed? Appreciate any advice on the swap
Thats about it. No different than any other car.

66? What kind of car is it? 4 speed cars are sought after. Lots of work & money to make it worth less.

If it's a b body, the console top is different, i think one of the console mounts is different between 4spd vs auto, 4 speed will have a tunnel hump that might need to be modified or removed, drive shaft might be the same. Should be pretty easy finding the parts you need for the auto swap.

66? What kind of car is it? 4 speed cars are sought after. Lots of work & money to make it worth less.
Yes, having second thoughts now, I still may take a look at it. My Camaro is a 4spd, wanted a auto for my wife to drive.

Maybe you can find an automatic car. It seems like there is alot of 66 and 67 B bodies up for sale lately.

Actually, when I swapped my '70 rr from auto to four speed my driveshaft was the same length.

Aren't the cranks manual and automatic specific as well?

Switching FROM a 4 speed TO an automatic is a whole lot easier and cheaper than going the other way. There is some money to be made from the 4 speed stuff. A complete 4 speed changeover can be worth $2000 to the right buyer.
You'll need an A/T specific brake pedal, the transmission and torque converter, flex plate, cooler lines and sometimes the crossmember is different.
If you're planning on using the factory floor shifter, you'd need to source all of that. Some stuff is being reproduced, some isn't. The 4 speed and 727 use the same drive shaft yoke and spline count. The speedometer cable fits 3 speed, 4 speed and automatic.
Approximately 9 quarts of ATF, filter and gasket.
Your radiator may or may not have provisions for the transmission cooler. If not, you will need to mount an external cooler like what was used on an RV. I mounted mine in front of the radiator using simple brackets that I made.

Last edited:
Carpet and a patch for the hump as well. The consoles and left side trim is different between stick and auto too. Maybe you could make yours work though.

Auto Transport Service
Back