• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

trans won't "hold" car

ksurfer2

Local time
1:39 AM
Reaction score
This car is new to me and I am working through some of the idiosyncrasies of it. 64 Dodge 330. 512cid, transmission is a TCI Super Streetfighter, Dana 60 rear with Strange axles. With the car in Park (or any gear), the car will still roll like it is in neutral (forwards and backwards). It does drive just fine in any gear. This a a street/strip car with more of an emphasis on strip....there is no parking brake. How do I get the car to hold in place when parked????

This car is new to me and I am working through some of the idiosyncrasies of it. 64 Dodge 330. 512cid, transmission is a TCI Super Streetfighter, Dana 60 rear with Strange axles. With the car in Park (or any gear), the car will still roll like it is in neutral (forwards and backwards). It does drive just fine in any gear. This a a street/strip car with more of an emphasis on strip....there is no parking brake. How do I get the car to hold in place when parked????
Sounds like it isn't engaging the parking Pawl inside the transmission. Often a linkage adjustment. What kind of shifter do you have? You have to find neutral on the shifter and the transmission as well and adjust the linkage so it connects. I always start my search in 1st. or the lowest shifter position. 1-2-3-N-R-P. Sometimes you adjust from Park and you can't get to manual low. ALso if you have a ratchet shifter, make sure you have enough detents. WHo knows, someone could have used a Powerglide shifter.

Or someone actually snapped off the pawl that engages the notches.
ion.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2019%2F09%2Fe9686848-pawl-in-notin-park_0go07a0gn079000000001-1.png

If the engine is off, the transmission offers no resistance when in gear. It takes hydraulic pressure from the front pump to engage bands and clutches.

I'd drop the pan and take a look at what's happening inside.

That looks like it might be a "clean neutral" shifter, with two neutral positions, so it can be clicked into neutral at the end of a quarter mile pass. Research your shifter more , you may think its in park,but its in neutral.
PPP shifter is a high dollar race piece, lots of racers think it's the best shifter available anywhere.

Park mechanisms could be missing inside trans. Sounds stupid i know, but it has been done.

HI maybe before you tare into it. unhook the cable at the transmission and move the lever at the transmission and make sure your getting full travel in your shifter.
good luck
tim

I would disconnect the linkage at gear selector on the trans and put the lever in park, then try to move the car just to rule in or out an actual transmission issue first

Definitely try to identify the transmission model year also. If it was still a 1964 model year transmission, couldn’t it possibly be missing a separate parking lock cable? I think floor shift automatics in 1964 may have used two separate cables.

Definitely try to identify the transmission model year also. If it was still a 1964 model year transmission, couldn’t it possibly be missing a separate parking lock cable? I think floor shift automatics in 1964 may have used two separate cables.
Good thought, but I don't think TCI builds pushbutton trans

All good responses but we have to know what trans you have there. Pushbutton type trans has a separate cable for the park, newer trans doesn't. Pics of the trans from underneath, drivers side if you don't know.

Yes, the original trans from the 64 would be a pushbutton shifter with the separate park cable as mentioned. You may have a wrong combination of trans and shifter.

All good responses but we have to know what trans you have there. Pushbutton type trans has a separate cable for the park, newer trans doesn't. Pics of the trans from underneath, drivers side if you don't know.

I'll take back my post...

TCI Super Streetfighter is the newer style trans. Might be as simple as the cable adjustment. I'd unhook the cable from the shift leaver on the trans and check the position of each selection and compair it with the shifter locations. If it looks good call TCI. I'm not sure if they leave the park parts out or not. Maybe someone else with one would know.

https://www.tciauto.com/super-stree...-8-tailshaft-non-lock-up-383-400-426-440.html

Problem solved. Linkage required a slight adjustment. All good now. Thanks for the comments!

Auto Transport Service
Back