• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission attachment?

493 Mike

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:41 PM
Reaction score
Hi fellas,
I was wondering what everyone uses to bolt their automatics to the engine? I have never used anything but OEM fasteners. Is there a need for stronger hardware?
Mike

Never needed anything other than OE. ARP or specialty stainless would be my go to for a show pony, full custom restomod type car.
I don’t think anything more is needed for strength unless your building a race car.

Hi fellas,
I was wondering what everyone uses to bolt their automatics to the engine? I have never used anything but OEM fasteners. Is there a need for stronger hardware?
Mike

Yea mainly the hardware holds it tight to the face of the rear engine block. I'd think if anything, the alignment pins would be the more stressed area for twist then the actual hardware holding it tight against the block. :) The area that always scared me was that stock flex plate. Big horsepower going through a half assed tin plate with 4 bolts holding all that power.......crazy in my mind to think that!

Never needed anything other than OE. ARP or specialty stainless would be my go to for a show pony, full custom restomod type car.
I don’t think anything more is needed for strength unless your building a race car.
Well, that's kind of why I posted in this forum.
Mike

Normally the stock trans bolts unless using a trans shield, then you need the longer bolts.

I've ripped flex plates and torn the boss off the converter. Never hurt a bolt. Motor makes north of 900hp
Doug

OE is fine, used a lot of grade 5 normal bolts with lock washers on many cars, used grade 8 with lock washers on others and have used ARP on a few. They are just bolts, no magic in them, just make sure they are long enough to engage the block and they are tight...

Auto Transport Service
Back