• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission cooler

diesel_lv

Local time
2:23 AM
Reaction score
I got in a rush and didn't think about the radiator when I purchased it, I got it without a transmission cooler in it and that was a year ago. I've been buying n storing parts, so definitely not returnable. I'm going to install a Derale 51606 series 10000 19 stacked plate cooler in front. Maybe 2 if the transmission temps aren't kept under control by 1. I have a/c on the car and live in Fort Mohave AZ where summer tempts hit 130 and we use a/c from Feb-Nov. Any suggestions on how I should mount this to properly cool transmission but not restrict a/c condenser. And, has anyone run stand alone transmission cooler with no problems? Thank you in advance.

1967 Coronet 4dr. 496 stroker, Torqueflite 727 w gearvendor o/d. Not sure on torque converter yet. Waiting for recommendation from converter shop.

Diesel, I'm in Phoenix so I get the temp thing. Mount in front will work. I have also mounted underneath with a fan on it also. You can use a temp sensor to turn it on if you want something like that. Just a couple of thoughts. Pick your tranny fluid carefully make sure it handles what you need.

I got in a rush and didn't think about the radiator when I purchased it, I got it without a transmission cooler in it and that was a year ago. I've been buying n storing parts, so definitely not returnable. I'm going to install a Derale 51606 series 10000 19 stacked plate cooler in front. Maybe 2 if the transmission temps aren't kept under control by 1. I have a/c on the car and live in Fort Mohave AZ where summer tempts hit 130 and we use a/c from Feb-Nov. Any suggestions on how I should mount this to properly cool transmission but not restrict a/c condenser. And, has anyone run stand alone transmission cooler with no problems? Thank you in advance.

1967 Coronet 4dr. 496 stroker, Torqueflite 727 w gearvendor o/d. Not sure on torque converter yet. Waiting for recommendation from converter shop.
I cannot help with how to mount your new cooler....but I can assure you that having a seperate cooler is way better than using the 'in-tank' cooling system as the factory designed it. The water at the bottom of the radiator is still very hot, so I don't see how it does that good of a job.
My buddy has a '65 Plymouth Belvedere with a seperate cooler for the trans - mounted in front of his radiator....and to the battery side more so. It works well for him.
Although a totally different setup, I run a separate fan-assisted cooler in my A100 - mounted horizontally under the drivers foot-well.

upload_2020-1-27_10-36-18.png

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to mount it as far forward in the grill as possible and offset as close to the headlights as possible. If I can figure out how to mount it. Hopefully this way will keep it from reducing my a/c cooling.

but I can assure you that having a seperate cooler is way better than using the 'in-tank' cooling system as the factory designed it. The water at the bottom of the radiator is still very hot, so I don't see how it does that good of a job.
A stand alone or an additional peripheral cooler is great and IMO better than stock alone. The stock system is designed to cool and it does. The hot engine coolant is only around 200* or less or at least should be. This is a normal trans temp when operating. So by the time the engine coolant enters the radiator when the thermostat opens at ****’s, it gets colder as it reaches the bottom the radiator which is cooler than the trans fluid.

A transmission likes cool/cold fluid. Adding an external cooler after the stock cooler is the route it should take. The external cooler should be mounted in front of the radiator. The unit the OP is talking about, if I think it is the one I’m thinking about, can be mounted anywhere. But in front of the radiator is best if not just simply “In the Wind.”

Edit, fixed quote tags for proper quote.

Last edited:
MO best trans coolers are the ones with tanks at each end. Not the coolers with one line zig zagging .

IMO..
The pro's and con's of the different styles of coolers are:
• A serpentine cooler presents the most surface area, but as thr oil exits the cooler it can approach the air temperature, and the heat exchanged is lessened. The most heat is exchanged when the temperature difference is the greatest or expressed as delta T or temperature difference.
The other factor is the volume of oil passing through the cooler.
• A parallel flow cooler is one with an inlet header and a separate outlet header. This is probably the most effective and efficient cooler as it allows a uniform temperature gradient, inlet to outlet with respect to oil AND air flow. This is the type of cooler generally used by the manufacturers.
Specifically speaking, my GMC/Yukon Denali is equipped with a trailer towing package (8000# capacity) and has both the in-tank radiator transmission oil cooler (primary cooler) and an external parallel flow secondary cooler AND a digital oil temperature gauge. Towing the GTX, on a steel deck trailer (~6500# total) at highway speeds (75 mph) on a 95° F summer day, running the A/C, the transmission oil temperature never got above 185° F. PS the engine ALSO has a LUBE oil cooler in the radiator's hot side tank.
My recommendation would be to use both coolers with the in-tank cooler as the primary. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

IMO..
The pro's and con's of the different styles of coolers are:
• A serpentine cooler presents the most surface area, but as thr oil exits the cooler it can approach the air temperature, and the heat exchanged is lessened. The most heat is exchanged when the temperature difference is the greatest or expressed as delta T or temperature difference.
• A parallel flow cooler is one with an inlet header and a separate outlet header. This is probably the most effective and efficient cooler as it allows a uniform temperature gradient, inlet to outlet with respect to oil AND air flow. This is the type of cooler generally used by the manufacturers.
Specifically speaking, my GMC/Yukon Denali is equipped with a trailer towing package (8000# capacity) and has both the in-tank radiator transmission oil cooler (primary cooler) and an external parallel flow secondary cooler AND a digital oil temperature gauge. Towing the GTX, on a steel deck trailer (~6500# total) at highway speeds (75 mph) on a 95° F summer day, running the A/C, the transmission oil temperature never got above 185° F. PS the engine ALSO has a LUBE oil cooler in the radiator's hot side tank.
My recommendation would be to use both coolers with the in-tank cooler as the primary. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON
Thank you for the explanation. Unfortunately in 1st post, no in tank cooler.

@RJRENTON
A serpentine cooler presents the most surface area, but as thr oil exits the cooler it can approach the air temperature, and the heat exchanged is lessened. The most heat is exchanged when the temperature difference is the greatest
The volume in the cooling is only limited to the tube size. In & out and/or in the main body area of cooling.

And of course the cooling effect weakens as it goes through. That’s because it is working! If it didn’t do that, there would be a problem. Possibly to small of a cooler.

Auto Transport Service
Back