• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission coolers.. what to use?

747mopar

Local time
7:57 PM
Reaction score
I'm finishing up my dad's truck and need an automatic transmission cooler, never had to buy a separate one so looking for some feedback. The truck needed a new radiator but when I went to order one they were on backorder so having a brand new aluminum one laying around I used it.. but no trans cooler. Looking at coolers they range all over the place in size, some have fans, others don't.. it's a 318 with a 727 and just a regular ol pickup truck (D250). It will see some light hauling but nothing major.

My transmission builder's advice is always "get the biggest one you can fit!"

The ones with fans are more for when you're mounting the cooler somewhere it won't get good airflow, like underneath or on a framerail so most likely you don't need that.
As far as plate vs fin...I haven't ever noticed much difference when the cooler is appropriately sized.

I use a Derale stacked plate on mine. 496" engine, torquflite 727 Trans w 3.73 gears in 120° weather. No issues. Get the biggest that will fit in front of the radiator.

I'm finishing up my dad's truck and need an automatic transmission cooler, never had to buy a separate one so looking for some feedback. The truck needed a new radiator but when I went to order one they were on backorder so having a brand new aluminum one laying around I used it.. but no trans cooler. Looking at coolers they range all over the place in size, some have fans, others don't.. it's a 318 with a 727 and just a regular ol pickup truck (D250). It will see some light hauling but nothing major.
Would suggest if you have a u pullit place around 90s ford trucks and vans have very heavy duty plate coolers. I run them on all my vehicles hardlined and never a problem. They charge me 15 bucks a pop. Way heavier duty than most of the aftermarket I have seen totally agree on you cant have too much cooling for the transmission and fyi most of the good transmissions have a built in thermostat for the cooler.

Auto Transport Service
Back