• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission help!

Christian-440

Local time
9:25 AM
Reaction score
Alright, I finally got into my (just rebuilt) 46rh transmission that's currently in my '91 Dakota and of course it ate itself alive. All my clutches are in the pan. My converter lockup was stuck so I thought I was gonna be swapping the solenoids and low and behold... well.. you get the idea. Point is, I'm not sure where I wanna go from here. The truck was swapped with a 360 LA motor and it's a little hopped up. Nothing crazy I'd bet around 300-350Hp, very mild, I want to keep the 4WD but I'm sick of this transmission.. what are yall thinking? I'd prefer something I can use this transfer case on since I unfortunately haven't won the lottery yet, but if there's something out there for around $500 or less that would come with the right Tcase I'd do it. Just want to here what yall suggest. I'm not so transmission savvy so I'd like something I can just throw in and not worry about for the next 50-150k miles at least...
Thanks yall,
Christian

Sounds like you need to take it back to the shop that rebuilt it if its pretty recent.
If you rebuilt it yourself well better luck next time. I’ve rebuilt two 46re. Virtually the same. All I can say is clean, clean, clean , and I have a factory service manual that helps alot! They are good transmissions very much the same as 727tf. They just bolted an overdrive to the rear output.

Sounds like you need to take it back to the shop that rebuilt it if its pretty recent.
If you rebuilt it yourself well better luck next time. I’ve rebuilt two 46re. Virtually the same. All I can say is clean, clean, clean , and I have a factory service manual that helps alot! They are good transmissions very much the same as 727tf. They just bolted an overdrive to the rear output.
Yeah unfortunately had a family member (who's been working on cars for 40+ years, and has experience rebuilding transmissions, don't worry) help me rebuild it. Just a really strange issue. Never seen one go so fast it was in the first 10-15 miles... I kind of want something older though for less electronics. Less to fail on the truck that doesn't use the TCC or OD...

I can sure understand that. Sounds like your hunting a sb 4x4 727.

I would try finding a 46rh at a salvage yard. Transmissions that have been completely burned up aren't much fun to rebuild anyway.
I rebuilt the 68rfe behind my diesel..sure was a lot going on inside that thing. I was very thankful it worked!

I would try finding a 46rh at a salvage yard. Transmissions that have been completely burned up aren't much fun to rebuild anyway.
I rebuilt the 68rfe behind my diesel..sure was a lot going on inside that thing. I was very thankful it worked!
Yeah, if I go with another 46rh it'll be a different train for sure. I'm thinking I must've missed some clutch somewhere in it before... that transmission before brought a whole new meaning to "burned up" though lol, last time it had all steels, absolutely zero clutch material left... miracle the truck even drove into the barn..

Not sure which side the driveshaft is on the 727 transfer cases. I think it might be on the pass side? 46rh drivers side? Not sure

If only the lock up solonoid was stuck it would only cause the engine to stall at stops. It wouldn't have hurt anything else. I'm assuming this is an A998 trans (basically a lock up 904). This trans is more than strong enough for your combo. What doesn't function now? I can fix it if it's broke. Where in Michigan are you?
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back