• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission jacks for a lift suggestions.

747mopar

Local time
5:32 PM
Reaction score
Finally had my first significant breakdown on the Charger, thowout bearing seized, spun the guts and out came the fluid. Since I put this transmission in by sliding under the car with it on my chest I thought I've got a lift now.. no problem WRONG! Damn is it heavier than I remember, I'm sure working at 5'+ feet instead of off of my back doesn't help but nevertheless it's time for a transmission jack to put it back in. So suggestions? I'll likely buy one at Summit since I need to go there to pick up parts, just from looking I'd think the minimum height is important so it doesn't require a picker to get it on the thing, foot pedal instead of hand pump, 2 way tilt.. anything else?

Last edited:
Make sure it has chains to hold it also. I put a piece of thick rubber on mine also it helps. Look on craigslist also lots of low use ones for sale usually

It's a little spendy but I bought the Sunex 7793B transmission jack and love it.
It has the foot pump as well as 2 axis tilting adjustments to make lining it up for install a lot easier especially if you're working by yourself.

It's a little spendy but I bought the Sunex 7793B transmission jack and love it.
It has the foot pump as well as 2 axis tilting adjustments to make lining it up for install a lot easier especially if you're working by yourself.
That's one of the ones I'm looking at. It's a bit pricey but once you drop down around the $500 range the minimum height goes way up, go any cheaper and they look like garbage.

Look at the motorcycle lift at Harbor Freight. Not expensive & a member on here used it to replace his trans. I think it holds 1500 lbs and cost around $140.00

1661432364503.png

I had a lot of experience with installing 3 speed trannys from chevy and mopar. When I blew the clutch in my 68 Road Runner that was out of warranty I figured I'd do it myself. No trans jack and when that thing fell on my chest, it was like a ton of bricks fell on me. After putting in new clutch there was no way I could put it back in by myself. I had two monster brothers that did it for me without a jack. Lesson learned about the heft of a 4 speed. The other problem was working on the street in Queens where garages were at a premium.

I had a lot of experience with installing 3 speed trannys from chevy and mopar. When I blew the clutch in my 68 Road Runner that was out of warranty I figured I'd do it myself. No trans jack and when that thing fell on my chest, it was like a ton of bricks fell on me. After putting in new clutch there was no way I could put it back in by myself. I had two monster brothers that did it for me without a jack. Lesson learned about the heft of a 4 speed. The other problem was working on the street in Queens where garages were at a premium.
My dumb *** decided to put a 4 speed on my shoulder to remove from car. I thought I was going to die. NEVER AGAIN.

My dumb *** decided to put a 4 speed on my shoulder to remove from car. I thought I was going to die. NEVER AGAIN.
And this one is bigger than factory, it's a 6 speed. I had an exhaust stand under it to help hold it until I got it free'd up but as soon as the stand slid I knew I made a bad decision, I managed to free up a hand to call my brother then stood there holding it until he got there.. lesson learned.
IMG_20220821_140457623_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220821_140432814_HDR.jpg

Check for local auction sites selling shop equipment from going out of bizz shops. All sorts of goodies to be had there.

I use a cheapy 160 single stage and it works...
The hard part is getting it off as stated. Not bad with a guy on each end.
Take the converter out first.
I made an adapter plate for a 727 so it holds nicely in there.

I need to go 5'-6' high since I'm using it with my lift.
What we do is roll our matco roller box under the hoist . Walker floor model trans jack sitting on top of the tool box with trans on it.
Depending on box brand and trans jack brand you may have to raise or lower the lift a little.
When we are real lazy we toss a couple 6x6 blocks on top of the box for extra height.

I have a cheapo single stage transmission jack. It is not good quality and the reservoir leaks, but the damn thing is handy as hell. I use it for al kinds of stuff, not just pulling transmissions. For example, lifting a lower control arm to raise it up when working on front suspension, or raising rear axle to work on shimming rear- just to throw out two examples. I even use it to hold my oil catch pan when draining oil when I'm changing oil in my cars. What I am trying to say here is once you have one you will use it for all kinds of stuff under the car.

My suggestion is to get a two stage decent quality lift because it will be that much more useful for different tasks.

Here is a not so great picture of mine:
20220114_193656.jpg

Note that it is single stage, i.e. there is only one ram that moves up and down so the range it can go up and down is limited.

A two stage (random internet picture below) has a ram inside a ram and can therefore move up and down much more. My next unit will be this type.
1661478458388.png

Hope this makes some sense.

Hawk

This one was way too heavy for a rolling jack, so we lowered the truck from above down to the transmission.
Note the hi tech shims used to level it.
1661516724665.png

I have a cheapo single stage transmission jack. It is not good quality and the reservoir leaks, but the damn thing is handy as hell. I use it for al kinds of stuff, not just pulling transmissions. For example, lifting a lower control arm to raise it up when working on front suspension, or raising rear axle to work on shimming rear- just to throw out two examples. I even use it to hold my oil catch pan when draining oil when I'm changing oil in my cars. What I am trying to say here is once you have one you will use it for all kinds of stuff under the car.

My suggestion is to get a two stage decent quality lift because it will be that much more useful for different tasks.

Here is a not so great picture of mine:
View attachment 1333452
Note that it is single stage, i.e. there is only one ram that moves up and down so the range it can go up and down is limited.

A two stage (random internet picture below) has a ram inside a ram and can therefore move up and down much more. My next unit will be this type.
View attachment 1333454

Hope this makes some sense.

Hawk
That's what I'm looking at, a telescoping one. I've had plenty of those moments where you pull a new tool out of the box, use it and think.. damn, wish I would have paid a little more for the better one. The whole point in a lift is to make life easier so why buy tools to go with it that make it hard.

I totally agree, I can think of several things that would have been way easier had I had this already.

Looking at Sunnex and Ranger in a configuration like you posted, I think that's the ticket.

Thanks

This one was way too heavy for a rolling jack, so we lowered the truck from above down to the transmission.
Note the hi tech shims used to level it.
View attachment 1333543
I helped my brother put a clutch in his mega cab diesel with a 6 speed, I took one look and said I'm not pulling that transmission out! We used semi style ratchet straps to create a cradle off of the frame, slid it back, replaced the clutch and slid it back in without ever pulling it out. Yeah, that's a big transmission!

Auto Transport Service
Back