• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission jacks for a lift suggestions.

I bought this Sunnex years ago Devin. It was a good investment imo. Even got a trans on it at the moment. Works good for doing exhaust and rearend work as well.

20220826_081535.jpg

20220826_081548.jpg

Get one with a foot pump. You need both hands for transmission R&R. 2 stage rams will pump up to working height quickly. That saves a lot of pumping. These are also a must for gas tank removal.

Not for use with a hoist.
No Doubt! I bought the Harbor Freight one because I saw a member here with the front up on jack stands using HB unit to remove his tranny. In my case, I ain't got no hoist & I ain't even got a garage! They have been on my wish list for about 50 years now. Maybe if I sell an internal organ that I have 2 of, lol. I wonder which section of this forum would be appropriate to list a kidney in. lol!
:lol:

I have a old Gray Brand commercial transmission jack... Got it in the 90's when the shop I was working at was gonna scrap it... I asked & got permission to drag it home... It sat for another five years after that till I got a rack... Then it was time to see if I could get it working... Took it apart & found all the seals were rock hard & the main piston seal was completely disintegrated... Got the model & serial & stopped by our local Hyster Forklift/Gray jack retailer & asked about parts..... I was told my serial number couldn't be correct & without that they couldn't get parts... So I loaded up the jack & let them check the numbers... Turned out I was right & the numbers indicate it was the forty third transmission jack Gray built.... My transmission jack is older than I am... And naturally they couldn't get parts...

So I took measurements & opened my Hercules Bulldog catalog & matched up everything..... When I got the parts I put it back together & it's worked flawlessly ever since... Oh, I also bought a complete second set of seals & put them in the filing cabinet in a file titled "Transmission Jack"....

The first stage is pneumatic so you hook up air & step on the pedal... It'll lift a normal trans pretty quickly to about four feet... second stage is hydraulic & the handle is attached to the head so you don't have to reach down while looking up...

Point being older commercial stuff is worth looking at if your willing to do a little work..

I have a old Gray Brand commercial transmission jack... Got it in the 90's when the shop I was working at was gonna scrap it... I asked & got permission to drag it home... It sat for another five years after that till I got a rack... Then it was time to see if I could get it working... Took it apart & found all the seals were rock hard & the main piston seal was completely disintegrated... Got the model & serial & stopped by our local Hyster Forklift/Gray jack retailer & asked about parts..... I was told my serial number couldn't be correct & without that they couldn't get parts... So I loaded up the jack & let them check the numbers... Turned out I was right & the numbers indicate it was the forty third transmission jack Gray built.... My transmission jack is older than I am... And naturally they couldn't get parts...

So I took measurements & opened my Hercules Bulldog catalog & matched up everything..... When I got the parts I put it back together & it's worked flawlessly ever since... Oh, I also bought a complete second set of seals & put them in the filing cabinet in a file titled "Transmission Jack"....

The first stage is pneumatic so you hook up air & step on the pedal... It'll lift a normal trans pretty quickly to about four feet... second stage is hydraulic & the handle is attached to the head so you don't have to reach down while looking up...

Point being older commercial stuff is worth looking at if your willing to do a little work..
I've been looking hoping to find an old commercial one with no luck, things built back then were built to last.

I bought this Sunnex years ago Devin. It was a good investment imo. Even got a trans on it at the moment. Works good for doing exhaust and rearend work as well.

View attachment 1333545

View attachment 1333546
Just picked one up but unfortunately they didn't have my throw out bearing. Frustrating when a part doesn't match the advertisement, looks really solid, seems to works great but plastic knobs when the advertisement clearly shows aluminum is a big disappointment.
IMG_20220826_215811230_HDR.jpg

I'm just excited to get away from the house building work and get back in the garage! Fix the Charger, do a few minor things to dad's truck and I'm finally pulling Ayla's Satty in for a complete resto... Excited!

Last edited:
What a great investment already, put the tranny back in in about 15 minutes.. effortlessly then used it to pull a gas tank and now it serves as a mobile work station for another project. This 3 wherler was killing my knees because you have to practically sit or kneel on the concrete to work on it, no more.
IMG_20220930_223856462_HDR.jpg
Love it!

Auto Transport Service
Back