• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tribute & Clone WTF is there a Difference ?? Or is there any??

This was a TYPICAL reply that I got... HOSITLE when asking sellers that had listed TRIBUTE...I did not say anything negitive about the car ..I could careless what they called the car I was just asking what was difference .. I was asking because I did not fully understand if there was a difference ...I was trying to educate myself not PISS some one off...To each their own....Half the cars I see are clones but, still look nice...Why people seem so **** about what other say about their cars...What do these people do when some one makes fun of how they look?????

i have a 71 satillite with a 505 stroker, updated suspention,fuel injected, rr hood 6 speed trans, 18's in the back, 16's in the front, new paint . Some call it a charger, some call it a cuda. What would you call it? I don't really care what you call it. I call it mine. I'm done with this site, by!

What's worse than suffering the clone or tribute saga, is to take a real Road Runner to a Cruise IN and have people ask, "Is that a Buick?" or "why is there a cartoon character on your car?" "Wasn't Starsky & Hutch's car red?"

Ever listen to a good song but dont know the name? How would you like to be insulted everytime you ask someone? Truth is, part of the reason we were drawn to these cars is their uniqueness so if it bothersyou that much, go gt a mustang and leave the Mopars to people who ENJOY being different.

18 years ago when I was getting engaged I told my girl "cubic zirconia is a clone of a diamond" she said "are you kidding" and I said "but baby,It's like a tribute to a diamond", she still wasn't buying it. Long story short, I bought the real deal and lived happily ever after. The End.:laughing1:

15 years ago I married a woman who told me that diamonds are only valuable because people believe they are, and that she wasn't interested in having me spend thousands of dollars on a shiny idea. So we went to the Caribbean with the ring money instead. Best vacation ever. :grin:

ROLF, I heard Clunt Eastwood owns a mopar.

Last edited:
15 years ago I married a woman who told me that diamonds are only valuable because people believe they are, and that she wasn't interested in having me spend thousands of dollars on a shiny idea. So we went to the Caribbean with the ring money instead. Best vacation ever. :grin:

Jeeeezzzz, I was just trying to make a joke to lighten up this thread.(like I ever had that conversation with my wife). I did buy one for her but it cause I wanted to and it was a surprise, and we fly somewhere nice for vacation everywinter to get away from all the snow. Sorry.

Speaking of terms, I was reading a post on the Hemmings site where a guy told the insurance company the rust on his car was patina, but the insurer said it was decay. :)

I'm building a 68 Coronet R/T from a 500.
Seems like the only ones that are bent out of shape are people on the Internet
On this site.
Everyone who comes by the shop, or seen the car in person see's one Nicely done car.

I call mine a re-creation and have black electrical tape over the dash vin. Makes me smile when I see the puzzled looks on purists faces.

One of January's full page cars in Mopar Muscle cars magazine has a tribute car in it (for anyone interested), pretty neat story when it comes out on news stands, Not a B-Body but relevant to the subject.. 71 Cuda vert, redone by a guy with the original 71 HEMI Cuda convertible in mind.

Now I'm just throwing this out there, what would you think if you walked up on a real nice Road Runner, looked in the engine bay, and there sat a 454 Chevy motor?

Now I'm just throwing this out there, what would you think if you walked up on a real nice Road Runner, looked in the engine bay, and there sat a 454 Chevy motor?

:4164823-pengforks::mob::mob::mob::4164823-pengforks:

The way I think, is, a clone is an exact copy, a tribute is not. Personally, I have no problem with a clone, as long as it is called a clone and not tried to be passed off as an original.

The Mopar Muscle that was crammed in my mailbox Saturday is an issue addressing this very subject. Both the feature cars and editorials are devoted to this discussion. Summary from the mag:
Clone: an attempt to duplicate, exactly, a factory optioned car to the point where you can't tell any difference.
Tribute: a car that merely looks the part of an original, or special edition car but with modern modifications and/or upgrades to make the drive more enjoyable.

Both styles were said to be motivated by the owners wanting a certain look and feel but not be afraid to drive the car. The overriding point was that if you have a number's matching car you keep it in storage while the clone/tribute car is driven without worry of value.

Last edited:

I would probably say I'm so sorry that I vomited on your car but it really made me sick. I am sure that we have all seen what looks to be a really nice 41 Plymouth until you get close enough to see a 302 or 350 in it. I usually try to be overheard saying something like "man this would be a really cool car if that was a 360". I feel the same when I see a Ford with a 350 and it's only happened once but a 32 Ford with a 318. Maybe this is just the purest in me coming out again.

Auto Transport Service
Back