• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trick to removing AC/heater control?

Gary Spaid

Local time
12:51 PM
Reaction score
Is there a trick to remove the AC/heater control from the mounting plate? I don't want to damage that plastic controller. It is in a 67 GTX.

I’ve had mine apart a few times but I’m not sure I completely follow your question. The face plate comes off with removal of a couple screws and pulling the knobs off The 2 levers. The bracket the fan switch, temp/air levers and cable attachments mount is secured by a couple of screws to the instrument panel housing. It can take some careful wiggling and twisting to get it moved back so the entire instrument panel can be pulled for further access.

OK, I want to remove the plastic controller. The face plate is off and the two screws holding the bracket have been removed. I have tried all kinds of wriggling but I cannot make the plastic controller release from the bracket. What holds the controller to the bracket?

Man, I’m having a blank on plastic controller. Can you post a picture? Maybe you're going into territory I never ventured.

OK, the screws are removed but the plastic controller (white in the picture) won't budge from the bracket it is in. I suspect the is a screw or two holding it to the bracket. Is that correct?
1695311905968_20230919_085750.jpg

Just so others know, the white plastic AC/heater control is held to the metal bracket by two small screws in the bottom. Don't attempt to pry it off unless it is already junk.

Auto Transport Service
Back