• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tried using a timing gun on my 318 RR tonight. What do you think of the numbers I got? Anything telling or changes you’d make?

Tony, on a hot start and you holding the gas pedal down to start it - it's probably due to heat soak and fuel percolation inside the carb bowls.
Then you have to crank & crank to get fresh fuel back into the fuel bowls.

Some of that is due to todays quality of gasoline...:BangHead:

Try adding an oversize plate between the carb and intake manifold. That will reduce or prevent fuel from percolation in the bowls.
Also put some DEI heat shield sock over the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb. Any little bit helps to keep the fuel from boiling.

A hot start problem where you have to hold the pedal down to get it to start? Possible worn float needle and seats and gas running into the motor after shut off during heat soak.
I've never had a Mopar product that needed throttle pedal applied when engine is warm. The OP stated that this is his first time with carbureted engine. Maybe he should just turn the key with a warm engine and if it doesn't start, then apply some pedal. Sounds to me like he flooded it!

With the horrid ethanol fuel for sale ( 10%?? yeah sure) I do all my tuning with a vacuum gauge, non ported source. When you achieve the best value at idle you have arrived.

Auto Transport Service
Back